navasky

Quick ball pien hawk

My goal for this project was to finish a hawk head in one day, hence the rough finish. That might sound pretty unimpressive to some of you but I'm a slow forger. I had a friend come over and strike for me but he had terrible aim so I ended up doing most of the swinging. Anyway, we finished forging by 5:00 and I heat treated it later that night.

IMG_7732.jpg

IMG_7736.jpg

Hey man that is a fantastic ball peen hawk.   Much better shape and style than most.    I think if it was mine I would file the bottom edge flat to give it a "bearded" look but its great just the way it is too.

That really makes me want to try one. Most of them are pretty ugly and you can tell it was a hammer, but yours looks great!

I REALLY like that! Hawk are what got me started down this road and seeing what you've accomplished has given me hope. Now I just need to get with it, too many things going on all the time.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I gave the head to the friend who was striking and he's going to make a handle for it but I have a feeling it might take him a long time. Monstermetal, the original sketch I was working from actually had a bit more of a bearded look, but this is how it ended up after forging and I didn't have time to do any more grinding on it.

I picked this one up for a dollar at a yard sale. I'd guess its about 70 points of carbon from the sparks, and it hardened up fine in oil.

So I gave this head to my friend over a year ago with the understanding that he'd make a handle for it. He never did so I made one this weekend. Hickory with rawhide overstrike protection.

1BXw5cplUOKkwmbmpGmoYs7dEUoDk6O7AQWqlSAd

bdsrgX8RzK9DG7M6tyTxvvouerC71oitHYV7_y79

W2ETrDlVDBVmTrIMdezLUAL7Q1TxSPue_hTF1Kp5

Very well done, I too am slow so I fully understand about trying to get it done in one day, I doubt I could do it in a single day.