I Forge Iron

Need handle materials ideas for a friction folder

Bullets Hurt

Hey guys, a quick update on the knife:
I finished it, using "Appalachian Ivory" and am going to make a separate thread with pictures of the finished product. Feel free to tell me how badly I messed up. :)

No need to start another thread, just to make us merge them

Hey Guys, I'd like to thank everyone that helped, and I'd like to show you my very first knife.
It doesn't seem too functional,
but I'm proud of it nonetheless .

Now the specs.:
Blade: It's carbon steel with a forced patina
Handle: PVC, boiled and ground into shape,
Pins: Some old nails I had laying around.

Feel free to tell me how and where I messed up.

post-55391-0-40608700-1405989492_thumb.j

post-55391-0-31244900-1405989520_thumb.j

post-55391-0-65212600-1405989558_thumb.j

nice to see it come together :) gotta side with Geoff though, some better pics would be helpful, maybe one of the opposite scale as well.  i like the handle shape too, i think that came out well.

looking forward to seeing the next one ;)

• 4 weeks later...

I made this blade and then I realised there is no hardwood in my area. I'd like to make micarta but I don't think people use fiberglass resin in Puerto Rico for much, so I can't find that in the hardware store.
Any Ideas?

Forgot to mention that the delivery services don't ship here so I can't just buy blanks.
I'd really like some help guys.

I know this is outdated now, but for future reference, I googled "trees native to puerto rico" and Wiki (I know, I know :rolleyes: ) listed 47 different species. Coccobola, a hardwood, I believe, was one. I didn't look into many as they were listed by their scientific names (i.e. Species and genus etc) and I'm far from a botany or wood expert LOL. Also found this PDF claiming over 500 different species indigenous to PR: prwoods.pdf

Hope this is useful

Scott

Edit: After reading further, the PDF goes on to say that only 52 or so are "saw-log size available for domestic or commercial use". But heck! I can't name a 10 hardwoods here in the US :D

Edited by Dodge

• 11 months later...