I Forge Iron

SCBA Tank Forge

j.w.s.

So I had this SCBA tank laying outside the shop for a bit that I kept on tripping over. Decided to depressurize it, lop of the ends and use the steel body for something productive. It's starting to get a bit hot and muggy here with all the rain we've been having, and firing up the large gas forge (54" depth) for a little hot work is just annoying and generates way too much heat. So, I had an 8" ribbon burner I made for an old demo forge and decided to put that to good work as well. I'm a huge fan of ribbon burners, not just for the efficiency but also for the near silent operation compared to a venturi. The tank is only 7" so I couldn't use 2" kaowool like I wanted and get close to a 4" chamber, instead I peeled it in half for the liner, sprayed it with rigidizer, coated it with a thin slurry of vesuvius 3000 and lastely a thin coat of fire clay to smooth it out a bit more. At either end I just created some rails and split some fire brick for adjusting the openings. I got the majority of the work finished on it yesterday but I'm not going to fire this baby up until Friday, I'd rather let it have a slow drying process. The idea behind this was to build a small forge for welding using just parts that have just been piling up. So far, she's looking good, but we'll see how it performs on Friday after I run the gas and blower to it.

J

post-7730-0-21200300-1405517595_thumb.jppost-7730-0-97079800-1405517615_thumb.jppost-7730-0-18619300-1405517643_thumb.jp

Nice work j.w.s..  As a noob I'm always looking for other ways of doing things.

Can you show an uneducated wannabe what a ribbon burner looks like?

Here's one of mine from my big forge. 16" long and I've got three of these burners in total running the length of my sword forge. They can be made much smaller as well. Essentially just some square tribe made into a plenum and the burner itself made out of refractory.

J

post-7730-0-66138000-1405885231_thumb.jppost-7730-0-45862500-1405885325_thumb.jp

Now I can hit welding temperatureover the entire length of the forge which is a little overkill, but the reason why we built the large one is for consistent heat during hardening. I can also shut off burners individually and brick off sections to make the forge smaller which is a pain hence the reason for this SCUBA tank forge.