That's almost too pretty to use. I'm beginning to think you've done this kind of thing before.

Frosty The Lucky.

Very nice welds indeed. Say TJ, did you matt the foot before welding?

Frosty The Lucky.

Most of the welding was done with flux core and the base is L56 hard wire. What do you mean by matt? I haven't heat treated it yet I'm still working on the hardy.

Matting like framing a print. Makes em purty. <grin>

Frosty The Lucky.

lol no I didn't. Charles and I have been kicking around a few ideas about how to heat treat this monster but haven't decided just yet. guess im going to have to do that pretty soon. I weighed it yesterday at 207lb.

Trash pump and a pond seems most realistic.

Ground forge and a big hand crank blower would be one option. 

When you do it, video would be awesome. 

What did you make the top plate from? Is is 100% pen? 

207lbs is a good workable size. 

That's a good size. I'm looking forward to finding out how you heat treat it. This is quite a project you took on. I like the shape of the horn, it makes sense to customize it to your needs.

207lb, 27" long, 4" wide, 9.5" tall, 18.5" table, 1" hardy, .375" & .5" pritchel. All that's left now is the heat treat and ill build a new stand. I have two chemical totes for the water and I may be able to borrow a water pump. I'm itching to finish and hammer some steel.:D

KIMG0038.jpeg

KIMG0039.jpeg

KIMG0040.jpeg

That looks amazing. I wish I could pull that off. do you have any suggestions for those of us who might want to try to replicate what you've done? Maybe someone like me on a much smaller scale, say 80lbs.

A hot steamy day in Oklahoma as you head towards the summer?  Can I call you Nostradamus?

McRaven said he used the high pressure hose from the local volunteer fire department to re-harden his anvil as I recall, ("Country Blacksmithing")

M Cochran , a good place to do this is at a community college welding course. When my Dad, and I were taking night courses at the local community college the blacksmithing instructor had patterns to make anvils out of thick scrap plate that they got from Kaiser Steel down the road. You got a good sized anvil at 10¢ a pound, and learned to weld at the same time. The rod was included in the tuition, so your only cost was the plate, and time. For the top they had some scrap dozer blades. We had an anvil already, but a good friend made his out there. Turned out nice, and a big inner shield welder made short work of the welding chores, other than waiting for it to cool off between welding sessions. 

Edited by BIGGUNDOCTOR

Thanks Biggun. I am a decent welder but thought about taking classes at the little community college so I can improve my technique and put my skill on my resume. I'll look into it.