I Forge Iron

How to dry wood for tool handles

SpankySmith

I ended up just bringing some of the pecan inside to my shop, which is  attached to my house and has heat/air from the house.  I brought in a couple 2-3 foot lengths, only about 6-8 inches thick.  One I let sit until I needed it just recently and I had no problem cutting it into lengths, the other I cut into maybe coaster-sized slices while still green and set out to dry.  Only two of the slices, the two on the ends that had already begun cracking, cracked at all.  The rest seems to have dried out nicely on its own in a climate controlled environment.  

• 2 weeks later...

up here, i just place my selected handle blanks on top of the furnace ducting in the winter, and forget about it. adds a bit of humidity in the winter, and come spring, those are dried out wonderfully. paint or treat as desired to prevent checking or cracking. hawthorne and ironwood are my handles of choice. not sure how this will work where no furnaces are required...

you can also hang the pieces in your chimney near the top , just keep an eye on them to prevent creosote buildup if you heat with wood. these will come out hard as rock and fairly rot proof.