I Forge Iron

Handle Suggestions

I have been working on this one on and off for a bit but I finally got it to the point it needs handled. The one pictured just doesnt feel right for this blade, I am looking for suggestions.

post-11447-0-78145500-1403387744_thumb.j

post-11447-0-57610100-1403387755_thumb.j

I think handles are a personal preference, so i'll just be sharing my opinion and if anyone wants to comment on it he/she is welcome to do so

I make all my knife handles from branches, start by getting a branch (after removing the bark and letting it dry) that feels a little bit too big for your hand, that opens up the option for some modification and make it more ergonomic

i do this mostly because I don't want to buy hardwood or anything like that, i prefer working with what i can get myself for as little money as i can, if you can get some nice maple, hickory,ebony or anything like that, i suggest you do that instead what i do, sure it may take more work but im pretty sure it would turn out better (sidenote: I've been warned about using oak for handles, i was told that oak and sweat produces cyanide which eats up the skin on your hands, i have no proof of this other than word of mouth from some guy)

i hope anything i said here helped

Actually I think a tightly tiger striped maple handle would go good with the pattern on the blade.  If you go with antler use a solid one and give it the same treatment as the blade! (WEAR PPE: BONE and ANTLER DUST IS BAD FOR YOUR LUNGS!)

• 3 weeks later...

ya, i decided to set it aside till something comes up....

I think you kind of have to 'feel the love' when doing handles. They're not my favorite part of bladesmithing, so I tend to put it off till I really want to go to it. I think an attractive handle will sell a knife,

even a mediocre looking blade.

John

WH ,

I have I Huge 5X4 Elk well over 2 1/2" to 3" in That I have been looking for an Awesome Blade to cut it up for there are many nice straight tines on it that would complement that blade . As well as a short Sword I am working on in PW I Hope to get posted up in the fall as a WIP . let me Know if you are interested in a section of them .

R Yates