I Forge Iron

ASO or decent anvil?

Can't tell too much but from what I can see looks like cast steel with a really thin face on it. looks like there is maybe a weld on the horn and I have no clue whats going on with the side, I guess someone could have welded a tool to the side at one time or something. That brand is unknown to me but sometimes off brands are still really good, I have an anvil from Vancouver Iron & Steel CO and its top notch still. 

You should check for repair or damage on it and do a rebound test.

If I went to buy that anvil I would be more comfortable paying 120-150 tops by what I see and if it has good rebound.

http://www.anvilfire.com/index.php?bodyName=/FAQs/anvil-5.htm     <--- rebound test

I think I'd pass on that one. The marks on the face make me think it's not hard nor tough enough. Being cast isn't a deal breaker my favorite on earth anvil is cast steel but that one isn't near the finish. They didn't even clean up the sprue, that big round scar on the side.

If it passed the rebound test I might be willing to dicker for it but not very enthusiastically.

Frosty The Lucky.

Yeah the price seems pretty high, a lot of people think because its old and in 1 piece its good condition and worth a lot. I think you can find a better deal but unfamiliar with your area. If you do go look and it does have a consistent good rebound bring up the condition and haggle because you can find ones in better shape for about 1-1.50$ a pound quite often. If you find an anvil somebody has not thought about selling you are more apt to get a better deal for a better anvil than something somebody wants to sell and thinks is worth a lil fortune. 

If you do pass on this I suggest creating a Wanted: An Anvil add on craigslist or even networking, asking around. 

Best of luck on your hunt.

Semi-steel is just a higher grade of cast iron, in the past often used for jewelers stakes that never see ferrous metals.

There is no tool steel face on that ASO, pass it by. The fact that the face is scarred up, the lug holes on the thin feet broken off, and that they did not even bother to clean up the sprue mark on the other side scream "Danger, Will Robinson!"