I Forge Iron

Just introducing myself

Hello my name is William. I am new here and I wanted to introduce myself to y'all. I am a 15 y.o. living in Western Mass. I am going to school for Machining. I have been blacksmithing for 1 1/2 years. I am so far self taught. I built my first forge and I just fabricated a second one. I smith usually every Friday with a group of friends. We tend not to be very productive. I hoping that will change this year with our "new" 200lb anvil. We had a 30lb before. We don't have a shop yet. We do it in my driveway. I am hoping to learn something from all of you and to share my progress in my smithing career with you.

Some pics of what we have so far (there is some more to it just have not kept up with pictures):

post-54916-0-34527400-1403223241_thumb.j  post-54916-0-85876800-1403223290_thumb.j  post-54916-0-26940600-1403223394_thumb.j  post-54916-0-75707400-1403223413_thumb.j  post-54916-0-34881500-1403223628_thumb.j

Spend some of your summer vacation reading all you can on this site.  There is a wealth of information here.  Look up local smiths and groups and go and watch and learn.  Then practice, practice, practice.  Learn what works and what does not.  Learn fire control.  It looks like you are burning hardwood charcoal.  That tends to burn fast, but clean.  Make sure you can control the amount of air going into the fire.  It looks like you have a hair dryer set up.  Can you control the blast?

I do plan on reading this site as much as I can. 

I am now burning coal. When I first started I was using charcoal. The first pic is my new forge, the second is my old one with charcoal, and the third is my old with coal. I can control the blast with my hair dryer. The reason that the picture is so sparky is we just put more fuel on and it was at night. I have used my new forge only a few times, but I have great fire control and heat output. It is better than the old one. Thanks for the tips.