I Forge Iron

Where to Find Kaowool

HI i'm making a small propane forge and was wondering where i could find Kaowool some where in my area i live in Klamath Falls Oregon. Also im willing to buy online so any sites where i could find affordable Kaowool and some Rigidizer would be much appreciated.

Thank you Sincerely Austin Reposa

Welcome aboard Austin, glad to have you. If you oput your general location in the header you'll be surprised how many of the IFI gang live within visiting distance.

EJ Bartells in Spokane carries Kaowool among most any other refractory supplies you might need. They're online, the name's the search terms.

Frosty The Lucky.

http://dsindustries.us

I bought two boxes of 6lbs 1inchx24inchx25feet.  Cost $95 after shipping, etc.  It took FOREVER to arrive.  I had to email them twice to check on the order.  Yeah, it's was a little hassle, but that price is hard to beat.  I haven't had a chance to build a forge with this stuff so I don't know how it will perform.

-Andy

I found 1", 8lb density ceramic blanket at a local ceramics supply shop, they had it listed under "Raku Kiln Equipment". It was $3.50 per square foot, so 7 bucks per 2sqft, but no shipping. They also had Zircopax (zirconium flour) and EPK (kaolin/porcelain) clay powder for a kiln wash that was suggested by Frosty.

• 2 months later...

Ditto the suggestion that you check out pottery/ceramics suppliers.  I spent hours googling mail order providers and calling local industrial outfits that supply the oil and gas industry here in Calgary, Alberta.  Then, I called a ceramics supplier and they knew exactly what I wanted and needed for my blacksmithing forge. 

A local  stove, fire heating maintenance type place. May have it or can get it in for you. I can't seem to think of the business type names at the moment. Wayne Coe as above mentioned was real helpful when I ordered plistic from him some time ago. Not sure of the spelling but similar to ITC. I built a small propane forge then promptly started using coal. Go figure.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Folks might also Google foundry supplies in your area.... I am from the Kansas city area and just bought 50sqft (had to buy the whole roll) for $72.88 after tax... It is about $1.34 per sqft. Place is called Canfield & Joseph.. Really nice folks... 1" thick 8lb density

Wish I could have found that a couple weeks ago. Now I know for next time.