Glenn

Show me your Lathe

I am guessing that power to the drive unit was by electric motor, electric supplied by P&W of course.  It's an interesting unit and it will reverse directions in an instant which I suppose was necessary in its intended use.

It has taken a couple years, one lathe would come up for free, it became too much of a project or ill-suited for my needs and I would swap our for the next freebie to come along.  This 18' ATW fit the bill nicely.  It was in many parts on a pallet at the salvage yard across the street.  I put it back together and just sorted out the wiring this week.  I took the first cuts yesterday and now have a learning curve with the lantern style tool holders to sort out how to grind the HSS bits.  This machine takes up a good chunk of my shop floor so I'm elated to finally have it running. 

Here's my old WF Barnes and Co. #6. It was originally pedal powered. Someone long before my time made a motor and mount out of their junk pile, someday I intend to make a better motor mount, with better motor and pulleys. But it runs and does better work than I know how to do. I'm missing a critical change gear so haven't been able to run the lead screw yet. Maybe one of these years I'll cut my own gear for it....

DSCN4262.JPG