I Forge Iron

Show me your Lathe

Glenn

A friend phones and says he knows some one with a lathe for sale. I phone the guy and he wants $500. When I arrive to check it out; it turns out to be a rare Holbrook c16 (16x48) tool room lathe. I have been looking for a DS&G lathe but this is as good or better.

post-2703-0-73217900-1381800677_thumb.jp

It needs a little tlc but otherwise it is in pretty good shape.

brad

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Hey guys,

This is my South Bend Model 28.  following a serial number query South Bend states it is a 11 inch swing built in 1914 and sold to a tech school outside of Indy.  It had a nice coating of oxidation from not being used in over 50 years when I purchased it.  I spent a winter compleatly disassembling this lathe and removing all the grim and after cleaning, miked the dimensions and modeled each part in AutoCAD (a rendering and the exploded view I created are shown in two images).  I also engineered a new electric motor drive for it as the drive that came with was kind of shoddy.  It works like a charm now.

post-54915-0-01055700-1404411002_thumb.j

post-54915-0-69399800-1404411521_thumb.j

post-54915-0-01200000-1404411530_thumb.j

post-54915-0-18541900-1404411538_thumb.j

• 6 months later...

1946 Atlas, 9 inch throw 46 inch bed. I don't have every cutter/tool for it but I do use every tool I have for it. two steady rests, tail stock, 3 and 4 jaw chucks. all the gears, original owners manual. ( don't laugh it's got some great stuff in there.) and to much to list. After some use. 2653_zps5a4d52aa.jpg What it came with when I brought it home. setup1_zpsc56c4a0a.jpg Rich

• 2 weeks later...

I saw someone further back in this thread with a 26' long 20 tonne lathe so for the other extreme I challenge anyone to get a smaller centre lathe.

post-53754-0-00741300-1423781778_thumb.j

Weighs an entire 3kg and is just over 300mm long and 150mm between centres.

Named "Super Adept" cast into the base. Only got it recently so I haven't connected a motor or fitted a chuck. 

• 1 month later...

Finished my winter lathe project. Back in July 2014 I picked up a Craftsman Lathe at a garage sale for $25.00 I cleaned it up and built a stand for it. To power the lathe I put a Baldor 1.8 hp 3200 rpm DC motor with a MC-60 variable speed controller . I can cut the RPM in half with the original pulley system and drop the speed to a crawl with the variable speed unit. I also found an original compound tool rest and 3 jaw chuck for turning metal. I just added a variable height dust collection system to it. The collector can be remove and move down for longer turns. I'm still testing it out but it's been a lot of fun. Project kind of back fire on me, ask my son if he wanted to forge the other day, "no I want to turn on the lathe"  he likes making tops. 

lathe old.jpg

P1030288small.jpg

P1030305small.jpg

P1030290small.jpg

dust.jpg

Edited by Jacob Nothstine

• 10 months later...

A bit of tidying up, and assuming the ways are in good fettle and you've got a very capable little lathe there. If you need info, and you've not already done so, visit Tony Griffiths' site, Lathes.co.uk. plenty of info and photos to interest you and he may even have a copy of the original handbook for this model.

...oh and when it's all cleaned up and running.....we want more photos...:D

Will do Smoggy. I did find that site. I've done quite a bit of reading on there. I can't find a book for one this old but was told that the next gen was the same lathe with a different drive system and I can get that book. I got it in the shop and started cleaning. It's cleaning up much easier than I thought it would. Once I get it set up and working I have a friend that will come over and level it and get me started. I know nothing.

I've been watching this site with interest for a while and thought I would mention the American Precision Mus. in Windsor VT not far from my home farm. www.americanprecision.org This is in an original multi floor factory that made 1,000s of rifles for the American Military and in fact developed the mass production of interchangeable parts for rifles.  The collection of Lathes is fabulous including one very large one who's base is solid Granite!  I passed this place for years and had a friend work there a while ago and one day I stopped and it knocked my socks off what is there. 

Nice site to view with videos and if ever in VT/NH area stop and take a step back in history.  I'm not connected in any way just like to pass on info to interested people. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/5/2016 at 7:16 PM, AR. Hillbilly said:

There was no need to re quote the entire thing,  THINK about bandwidth

Here it is after a complete tear down and paint job. I had to replace the ball oiler and bushings on the back gear tube. Everything else seems to be in great conditin

100_5299.JPG

Come up a treat it has and If that's all that needed attention you can't complain!

You'll soon learn how to use it with a bit of tuition from your mate, and spend many happy hours machining all those little attachments that every lathe simply must have!:D

• 3 months later...

Just found this thread a little while ago...

I have a Monarch Model 61 16" X 30" lathe. Have 12" & 10" three jaw chucks for it, Aloris CA tool-post and tools. Manufactured in 1954. I've had it like 12 or so years. I run it off a static phase converter and have had zero issues doing so. It's not perfect, but it's been a good machine for the general work I do. 

image.jpeg

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

The Ever popular Myford, some work been turned on those over the years. My lathes a distant relative being virtually identical to the earlier Myfords, but then again most were back in the 30's, it's a little 3.5" x 20" Ross and Alexander (Randa). Nice cabinet you got that sat on

• 11 months later...

I have had my atlas ten for over 15 years and it took me 5 years to find it! I bid on I do not know how many on craigslist and ebay? One was a old Rockwell quick change like i learned on in high school, I missed it by 20 bucks! I picked up local paper about a month later and bought my Atlas th 42 for 600 bucks within 20 miles of my home!   Lathe is cheap part! I do gunsmithing too and 7/8 tru stock doesn't work for chambering barrels! so I needed steady rest, that was 220.00.  I recently got tired of changing gears manually for feed select and threading!   , I could have bought a complete quick change gear set uo 5 years ago for 350.00! No I can do better!  WRONG! I finally got it set up this year and it cost more that my Lathe!!!  But Its a good machine , I have learned its limits and I can hold excellent chamber tolerances!  So it is mine and I love it! I also have a milling attachment, a Bison 3 jaw chuck, atlas 4 jaw and MY jem  is a Buck 6 jaw adjust tru center!   I am blessed ! But a excellent South Bend Heavy ten would be sweet!

IMG_1342.JPG

Clausing1501.jpg

• 2 months later...

A couple of years ago a local scrapper gave this Pratt & Whitney No. 3 to me.  I recently set it up and got it running but it still needs more work - the cross slide and compound are rather stiff from rust.  What is interesting is the hydraulic right angle drive is from a WW2 bomber and was used to spin a gun turret.  The fact that it has been adapted to this machine does not make it a turret lathe however.  I also have a 9" South Bend toolroom type lathe that gets used frequently but I don'y have any pictures of it.

100_2527.JPG

100_2528.JPG