I Forge Iron

Show me your Lathe

Glenn

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
I've just sold my drummond round bed, i've replaced it with a Viceroy that just come out of a local school (i'll take some pics tomorrow). There is a fair bit of information about drummond lathes (and a lot of other makes) here lathes.co.uk and there is a drummond group on yahoo.

I am a member of the yahoo drummond group. mine is at work at the moment and when i get 5 minutes i do bits to it. have made a frame and wired up a .55kw motor to it so far. got around to putting a proper on/off/emergency stop switch to it the other day, had been use a plug up till then.

• 4 weeks later...

Here are 2 of the lathes I have full use of at work. There are others, but I don't have any pictures. The Romi is a hybrid type machine. It can be run manually like a conventional engine lathe, or programmed conversationally, or standard g-code programming.

The hardinge is the cadillac of the hardinge lathe line. Threading capability, and a digital read out. This baby will hold tenths with ease.

1580.jpg

1584.jpg

Well, here's mine. Bought it new about 6 - 8 years ago. Today I could buy a CNC for the same money! 17 X 60, taper attachment, DRO, Dorian tool post, four chucks, collet setup, all the bells and whistles. My default chuck is a four jaw scroll chuck.

Was wishing I could justify a CNC, but then I realized I had one! I mounted a 3" chuck on a tool holder to go in my CNC vertical machining center (CNC mill), clamp a lathe tool bit in my table vise and I have a CNC chucker, great for short pieces. I center on "Y" and from there it's normal CNC lathe programming.

Melsdad: What did you do to get full size pics in your post, cut and paste? You should use the attachment manager so it only posts a thumbnail. Some people have slow dial-up you know. Forces the page out wider too.

14774.attach

Edited by nakedanvil

nice lathe there nakedanvil but you must have forgot the first leason in useing the lathe you never leave the key in the chuck that would have got me detention back in high school

Hey, good eye orgtwister!

That is a very dangerous situation indeed. We had a young feller at work turn on a lathe with the key in the chuck and sent it through the wall across the shop.

We now have a "key present in holder" switch that will not allow the control relay to close and the lathe will not run with out the key resting in the holder.

Here is a pic of my old rockford lathe. I believe it has a 16" swing. I haven't really had time to do much to it since I purchased it 2 years ago. when time permits I plan to clean everything up and give it a coat of paint.

Has an old conversion from line shaft to electric motor. I purchased it from a man in Chicago selling his fathers old equipment. He told me his dad used to work for Sun Beam and he may have gotten this lathe when they switched from line shaft to electric motors. Some of the tooling I received with the lathe has "Sun Beam" engraved/stamped on it.

14975.attach

• 2 months later...

16.5" x ? Monarch (Dad's lathe) 1941

18.5" x 54" Monarch 1946

18.5" x 78" Axelson

All have taper attachments.

I love my Monarch, it is one great lathe. I bought the Axelson when they auctioned off the Mare Island Naval Shipyard. I wanted that lathe in particular because it was in my Dad's classroom, and he passed away in 2000. I wish I had had enough money to buy the acorn platen that was in the classroom too. It was the standard 5' square, but it was about 10"-12" thick,and had a monster vise mounted on it-- it went for $700 + premiums , and I just couldn't swing it at the time :( Dad had mentioned once that he would have loved to have that at home.

Hey, good eye orgtwister!

That is a very dangerous situation indeed. We had a young feller at work turn on a lathe with the key in the chuck and sent it through the wall across the shop.

We now have a "key present in holder" switch that will not allow the control relay to close and the lathe will not run with out the key resting in the holder.

we had the spring loaded chuck keys that wouldn't stay in.

• 4 weeks later...

I got this lathe from an old guy who was selling up all his gear and moving out.
He wanted $600 for it, I took a couple of trailer loads of junk to the tip for Him and he gave it to me for $400.I hadnt used a lathe since high school but it all came back once I started playing with it.
I used it to make some bits for a fish pond filtration system and it paid for itself.

lathe007.jpg

lathe002.jpg

Edited by scarymonkey

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I got this lathe a few years back I think I gave the guy around 300 bucks for it. I need to make a belt for it it is missing a flat belt. The apron was broke once upon a time but someone braze welded it back and did a real good job it travels very smooth

18649.attach

18650.attach

18651.attach

18652.attach

18653.attach