I Forge Iron

Show me your Lathe

Glenn

It's a 10L (SB Heavy 10) that I refurbished in the past few months. From the company logbook at South Bend it comes back as:

1. Serial Number: 19118RKX
2. Catalog Number: CL187RB
3. Size: 10"X4-1/2' (Heavy 10)
4. 1HP; 208V/3PH/208V
5. 1800RPM
6. Ship Date: September 24, 1973
7. No extra options are listed.

I just got the aligator clips for the belt yesterday so I think I can be making chips this weekend ;)

7339.attach

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Guys, first time posting here, I apoligize for that. I've got lots of old iron I tinker with, lately most of my time is spent working on one of my old D4 Cats. I have a 1936 RD4 and a 1944 D4, not much difference between the two, '36 is cable blade, the '44 is hydraulic blade.
Guess this post was to do with lathes though... I have a Craftsman #109, it's a 6"X12" small lathe; and a 14"X36" Rockford lathe that I can find no data on.
I live in Lascassas TN, I work for the Rutherford County Engineering Dept, Married, one kid, two grand-kids.
I enjoy your forum, a good place for learning a little metallurgy.
Bob

7400.attach

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

My pre-war (maybe even pre ww1?) Drummond round bed. I have used it for turning a few things but I still havent got it working quite right yet.4495.jpg?mgwFEtJBZEXMTgC1 Well picture was showing up when i posted this but it isnt now. I will sort it out after work tonight.

Edited by shipto

• 2 weeks later...

Well since I have not posted yet and my machine tools are probably my favorite out of the lot, here goes. The first one is of my SB 9 X 36, 1927 and the second one is of my Monarch 16 X 54 1942. Both are great lathes.

bad url removed

Hope you all enjoy them. Jay

12428.attach

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing is more pleasant than getting a good deal on a new tool!
I got this 1962 (or so) Atlas Clausing 12 x 36 and it came with goodies.

6" 3 jaw chuck
8" 4 jaw chuck
Steady rest
End plate
Big drill chuck
Cut off tool
Milling attachment (so cool! just what I wanted)
3/4 horse 110 motor
Table and peg board

The only thing I can find wrong with it so far, is it needs a new belt. Time for a link belt so I don't have to take it apart.

Christopher

12932.attach

• 2 weeks later...

I set up my craftsman 6" x 36" lathe today I am not sure of year the model is 101-21400 the serial number is 101-07403. I think the motor pulley is wrong and oosibly the counter shaft pully, there is one motor pully instead of two it is 4 1/2 " diameter and the counter shaft pullys are 7 1/2 and 9 " does any one know what they are supposed to be? also does anyone recognize the tool in the second to last pic?
anyway here are pics it works and I am happy
kevin benge

13444.attach

13445.attach

13446.attach

13447.attach

13448.attach

13449.attach

Edited by bonehead11
forgot pics

nice adjustable tenon cutter in picture 5

Great I 'm so pleased, er how do it work?by the way I enjoyed your history the other day, I forget what thread it was in but thank you for all you gave for your country and from the outside it looks like a wonderful, full life, best of everything srgn.
Kevin Benge

Its mostly a wheelwright tool but can be used for other things too, first you use a spoke pointer to put a taper on the end of a wheel spoke, then having preset the tenon cutter, you put it in a brace and it cuts a round smaller tenon on the end of the spoke to fit into the felloe or "felly" (a segment of the outside of a wagon wheel).

Its mostly a wheelwright tool but can be used for other things too, first you use a spoke pointer to put a taper on the end of a wheel spoke, then having preset the tenon cutter, you put it in a brace and it cuts a round smaller tenon on the end of the spoke to fit into the felloe or "felly" (a segment of the outside of a wagon wheel).

very cool, not many wagon wheels out here but you never know , is it a "L"shaped bit that is missing from the tool,
I can probably make one

I don't have one like yours, yours is a Stearn's #3, I have a Bonney that shows the cutting blade clearly, just a piece of old two man saw blade will make a fine blade. put the Cannell in. These are also referred to as Hollow Augers too.

thank you very much I'm sure to find a use for it now!

when I got my lathe there was only one document that said 6 " lathe so I just assumed it was a 6" lathe, and I just measured the radius or distance from the center line to the ways and it is 6 1/4 ", Is this a 12" lathe or a 6"?
That "missing" 2 " pully turned up, it was there all the time.After I found out what size it was I took out a tape measure and realized how small it was and looked behind the big pully and there it was, and I remembered where my handle came from.
The lathe made a pretty good rattle when I first started it up and I assumed that was normal, but after adjusting several gears that were loose or out of place slightly it now runs very quiet and smooth and as slow as 16 rpm.
One last technical question the threading chart shows a spindle gear option of 16 or 32 teeth gears, but my 32 tooth installed spindle gear doesn't appear to be easily replaced w/o a puller, it is pressed on, no collar any one know this model lathe that well?
ok I lied one more question- The installed 3 jaw chuck on the headstock doesn't unscrew and I'm afraid the old bonehead will mess up ( again ) any ideas?