I Forge Iron

First straight razor

TheoRockNazz

This is my first concave grind, another recent economic commission... seems I have been doing too many of those recently. 

It does shave hair, but isn't quite "hair-popping" sharp... I need a final stone to finish my sharpening pipeline, but alas I can not afford anything at the moment. I do not think he intends to use it (and have inquired, he has yet to reply), but I would still like it to be usable.

W1 forged to shape from a 3/4" x 1/2" bar, which was fun practice. Edge quenched in Parks 50, tempered to 390ish in the oven for 4 hours. 

Any recommendations for an economy last stone (1000 or 2000 on one side, 6000 on the other I am assuming)?

Do you guys have qualms with customers using your work to shave? My gut tells me it's not wise unless they have a lot of experience.

post-25471-0-58098300-1401458359_thumb.j

post-25471-0-20796400-1401458373_thumb.j

post-25471-0-19247500-1401458386_thumb.j

I like to source sharpening stones at fleamarkets as many lovely *old* stones can be found at give away prices.

Much nicer than the cheap chinese stones sold today.  Knowing the old techniques for cleaning and flattening old stones helps too.

(as was living in Arkansas where novaculite was mined...)

I can finally speak with some confidence on a subject here!!!!! ( I have used a straight razor for the last 6-7 years)

I think the last stone I use is 16000 grit, then onto a soft balsa wood pad with diamond paste.  I will get you the details when I get home tonight.

There is a outfit in Virginia that does razor finish sharpening and repair.  If it can be sharpened to true " straight razor sharpness" they can do it for less that you will spend on stones, strops, diamond paste, and time.  I will get their name for you also. 

Russell

Theo, 

The last stone I used was a 16,000 grit stone from Japan.  Following that was .5 micron diamond paste on the balsa wood pad. You only need to use these 2 steps about 2 times a year so most men would take their razors to a barber and have it done.  Your location is NYC so you might be able to find a barber shop that can still do the final hone for you. If not look up a place on the web name "straight Razor Designs".  I have done business with them for a few years with no problems and they offer a sharpening service.

As a side note, new straight razors aren't ready to shave with from the factory, they still need the final honing.

Russell

Rock, that razor is epic. I think that this is what I would find in H R Giger's save kit. I hope the person that gets this has a teen aged daughter. This would be a good thing to be stropping with a boy comes to pick up his date. 

I send out my razors to get them honed. Only costs $5-$10 per blade and comes back perfect. I've been wanting to do a straight razor for a while now, I just don't think I could get the grind right. :/