I Forge Iron

Shop burnt down

Steve Sells

I am one of the volunteers that works the forge along with Norm Gable, and  IFI member  Mtforge  at the Old Fort in Ft Wayne Indiana.  Local Fire department was called out around 5:30-6am this morning, to fight the fire.  No official cause has been declared yet.  The fire appears to have begun inside the wood shop near the wall dividing the smithy from the wood shop.

The roof is mostly gone, the upper sections of three of the outside walls are now charcoal, and the two inner walls are not in any better shape either.  The old double bellows will have to be completely replaced. I am unsure of the post vise.  The two anvils should be ok since they are stored in a more secure building, and hammers/tong etc.  are personal tools that are not left in the building, but taken home with us. the forge itself is a brick side draft, side blast.

I and another smith were working a demo in there a week ago, and all was ok when we left on Sunday. and no one has been inside since.  The fort itself was open to the public for the memorial weekend salute to the military, but not any of the outer buildings.   I have not been inside the building, FD has it secured now.

As far as I know, no one was hurt, but we need to rebuild on limited/non existent funds, after the building is released by FD inspectors.

Post vise should withstand baking at even high heats well.  Thorough cleaning and re-oiling of screw and screwbox and pivot will be needed and ASAP as rust never sleeps.

If it was hosed down from high heat there may be issues with steel faced jaws and cast screwboxes.  (I'd check the jaw face with a file and if overly hard draw temper on them---the rest of the vise is probably mild and not need or notice tempering.)

Hope all is recoverable!

Greetings Steve,

I am so sorry to hear about the building ... Normally if there is enough funding for material and if you pick a date and post for help I am sure there will be many that will pitch in...  I am in .. Just down the road about 250 miles..

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim 

Will be interesting to hear what the official Fire Department determination of cause and origin of the fire is. If there is no or very little insurance on it they will not spend any time on it unless they suspect arson. I always found after nearly 26 yrs in fire the insurance investigators get better answers than the FD does, more money and time.
You should know the extent of damage to the vise real fast once you get to try it out. We had a large heavy iron bar that came out of a horse barn fire and it was like a noodle.
So hard to replace something like this today with lack of money and time but a surplus of regulations.

I agree to keep it in the news to get donations, people's mind change to a different concern about every 10 minutes these days.  I wish I was closer but 1000 miles is a bit far.  Those of us "New" people on IFI got a chance to see what Steve looks like anyways. 

Does look and sound suspicious but FD's like to call it "Undetermined Origin" .  Good Luck.  Steve.

Immediately use the news to push for rebuilding and accepting donations of materials and TOOLS!

The Shop shall rise again!  (and this time split off those noisy dusty woodworkers to their own shed!)

x10 on this idea.   Akin to the hit it while it's hot mantra.  People forget quickly. 

from what I know of the neighboring area, my guess is a bottle rocket  landed in the wood shop side,  and smoldered in all that saw dust.  We heard them going off until 3:30 am that morning and FD was called out about 2 hours later to the blaze.

When the shop was built gaps were left between the planking to allow air flow.  Some gaps are close to 2 inches wide after weathering.

• 1 month later...

Here is a PDF  with photos.  The weekend of July 26 we are gping to be working on the old building,  a piece by piece tear down. to salvage all the lumber and pegs that we can, to reuse in the rebuild.

http://oldfortwayne.org/pdf/NewsLetters/2014/PalisadeVol7Issue3.pdf

My first posting of this link seems to have combined the URL with the text I added.  see if this one works better.

Also it was torched,  the official finding is "undetermined causes" , until they catch them, there have been a few fires like this so far this year.  we assume it may be an employee that is upset.

Same here in CT after 11 months and nearly 20 barns, sheds, garages the Department discovered only one person made every one of those fires always at night and he was always one of the first 5 to respond and always made the first truck.  19 yr. old rookie firefighter.  He's in Jail at this time.   Happens all too often and I was in the volunteer service for nearly 30 yrs. 

Steve, I am sorry to hear of the loss, I would be honored to help. I have an authentic bellows, out of Avon NY, a farriers shop, it is intact but for the leather and abit of repair to the nozzle. It is yours if you want it, I have been blessed by so many smiths giving me time and material, this is my chance to pay it forward. Email me at nelsonm@kalamazoocity.org   if you think it is something you can use.