I Forge Iron

Virtual Assistant for project gantry crane 2 tons

Please post your location. It helps in getting you better information and making a referral to someone in your area.

I would think you need an engineer to design the gantry crane for you to meet your specifications. A liability issue that may be involved and you want the design to be right.  

Some of the light weight cranes are not that expensive, but cheap is NOT the way to go. Get a crane heavier than you need as you will find something heavier than expected that you want to lift. 

These cranes are designed to LIFT. The weak point looks to be in moving and when the load swings. A sideways loading due to swinging puts lots of stress on the design.  Please be very careful if you are not familiar with the tool.

excuse me if I'm wrong forum, and location is Italian I had to translate since there is no crisis if they produce more industrially so I have to build it arigianalmente that's why I tried your advice, however, I believe that with a beam ipe 180/200 mm can accomplish the horizontal crossbar for the hoist trolley with a large hea H beam 120 can do the pillars pillars, with box-80x 80mm can do the side legs with ipe 180 x 1500 i do sleepers based on which to mount the swivel casters with u 100mm i can make gussett or handkerchiefs stiffening and bracing with iron plate 100mm plates and reinforced bolts 18mm for tIGHTENING what you think someone has gantry cranes for advice thanks for your patience to the next

sorry guys but if you insist in your workshops that lifting equipment used for your loading and unloading material to remove heavy machinery or moving heavy loads for mobile cranes, forklift trucks hoists crowbar farm jack or else could you attach photos and me examples delegate your personal experiences with the next you could attach photos

First - contact whoever carries your insurance protection policy to see what guidelines they might have.  More often than not, they will demand that the weight rating be twice the weight of what you think you need just to be on the safe side.

My compadre's insurance insisted that he use bolts rather than welds to hold the gantry together.  Quality bolts are a known entity with a specific shear strength whereas welds might be bad, but you can't tell that without an xray machine.

Wheels need to be placed as far apart as you reasonably can.  The more narrow the stance, the greater the chances for tipping if you try to move the gantry while under a load.

• 3 years later...