I Forge Iron

Manufacturer needs to give their head a shake!

I was just browsing through the current sale flyer for Princess Auto (Canada's version of Harbor Freight)...

One item that looked interesting, was a small fold-away welding table. I thought it'd make a handy portable work/tool table for doing demos. Then I looked at the description. The top (which appears to be some kind of expanded metal / hardware cloth) is zinc coated. Really? Why would they do this?

Are people who weld not as concerned about zinc as we are? And if not, why not?

I'd have to assume that zinc/galvanized is just as apt to burn off from the heat of welding, as it is with anything we're doing.

I just don't get why anyone would zinc coat anything that's intended use puts it in contact with extreme heat!

I know these stores mostly sell cheap imported junk, but still. Zinc is as dangerous to Chinese lungs as it is to a North Americans. And they certainly do enough welding over there...

they also have a population problem,  combined with very cheap labor and no OHSA,   Killing off a few people is not a proiblem for them they just hire a replacement, same as we used to do here in the USA not that long ago, and as long as we keep supporting those companies , not caring that they do such things, it will continue.  :(

You are talking about a country that loses six people a day in mining accidents and puts poison in its own baby food, and you wonder if they care about a few zinc fumes half way around the world? They just want it to get to the (uneducated) consumer without rusting and dropping the price.

It's not that I'm overly surprised that the Chinese manufacturer would add the zinc. I'm surprised that the American & Canadian consumers that shop at places like Harbor Freight & Princess Auto would buy them. The retailers wouldn't import things that don't sell. Obviously some people who weld are buying these - if not, the store wouldn't stock them.

It's like with the cast iron ASO's ... Someone must be buying them. And buying enough of them that they keep making & importing them.

It boggles the mind.

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe it's not that people are stupid, it's that people all over the world are truly miss informed. It wasn't until I got into knife making and read the safety threads here that I realized the dangers of zinc coatings.

I have been a body man for 13 years and have welded a lot of galvanized body parts. Did they teach us the dangers if zinc in school? Nope!!! Practically every car made is galvanized and they are being welded every day by people that don't know the dangers of metal poisoning.