I Forge Iron

Advice on Peter Wright Anvil

Wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this PW anvil? It is the size I am looking for (350 lb) and in reasonable condition? There is less than 1/8" sag in it. Would it be a candidate to refinish or just leave as is?

post-53382-0-93949300-1399688637_thumb.j

Greetings Sparky,

Perfect anvils do not yield perfect work...   That anvil will serve you well just as it is...  Find a sweet spot and have at it...    Just my 2c ... I wish you well

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

Wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this PW anvil? It is the size I am looking for (350 lb) and in reasonable condition? There is less than 1/8" sag in it. Would it be a candidate to refinish or just leave as is?

There is no way you can improve that anvil. For what I do, an anvil with no sag (sway) is a PITA. 

hey neighbor, if you don't buy it let me know.............  ;)

Hi back neighbor! The seller is holding it for me so I will probably picking it up Monday or Tuesday. I guess a few dings and nicks give it character? 

Sparky, that anvil is in really nice shape. Don't worry about it at all.

Or... Actually it's terrible and you should let Rob take it ;)

Metal 99 is a very intelligent individual...........when in doubt take his advise !!  

Yup every smith should have at least one bigger anvil---150#+  if nothing else it will make them appreciate having a smaller one to move around and travel with.  I'm getting too old to be picking up my 165# PW and walking with it---though I do enjoy the looks on the 20-somethings faces when I do it; like when they learn why there is a series of sledge hammers with short handles...

Sparky,

It is easier to straighten something on an anvil that has some sway on the top face. If you need something flat, use a piece of flat plate or if you find a piece of granite kitchen counter (I get pieces from where the counters are ground, from the trash).

I would not resurface that baby!!

Neil

Tell her you were going to spend the money in a bar of notorious reputation; but you tripped over this really hot deal for an anvil and you guess you now will be spending your free time out in the back yard working on it...she might even chip in on steel!

When I was still engaged to my wife we went to a garage sale that listed an anvil---165# PW for US$100; we were dirt poor; but my wife to be told me "that's a good deal on that anvil I think you should get it"  30 years later I still have it and her!