I Forge Iron

My first mistake at smithing

That's a frustrating start for sure.  I gotta say that the mindlessness of the HF people is hard to take.  The local HF is staffed with folks who are willing to go to heroic lengths not to think for themselves.  I'm guessing it's their way of delivering only what they're paid for.  Most of the cruelty I've experience in my life was at the hands of an apathetic person who refused to think for themselves.  I think your effort to share your lesson will help to turn that around a bit.

I hope you get past these stumbling blocks and enjoy yourself.

I missed one of your questions frosty. I had painted it black because the god awful blue it was when I bought it seemed out of place around all the old hammers/tongs I had just bought.

It was snotty rhetorical. It's your anvil so paint or no it's none of my business. I paint most all my stuff hunter green and gold, my waxed anvils being, I think, the only exceptions.

Please feel free to throw a cyber fish at me for being a cranky old fart when I'm being a cranky old fart. I'm afraid I snapped at a couple undeserving folk recently. <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.

Boy seems like i'am the only one that's had any luck with HF.Over the last 3 years I have purchased a 90amp flux core welder. a bender, a hand grinder , and a 12"drill press. they are all used regularly though not everyday but quite often. I have yet to have a problem with any of them. quess I've been lucky and should be more careful before I buy more from them.

We all have our moments frosty and I'm still trying to learn new stuff and turn steel into art or blades so its not a complete disaster. The only one who can take away your will to improve is you not some crappy company who sells ASO'S. Thanks for all the advice/support everyone