Mike Romo

What should I know about sucker rod for making tools?

Is it like 4140?

What about the different grades of rods? Do they matter?

What about contamination and how to mitgate?

Thanks all

Here is a (grungy)chart I have,The ''we'' on the heading refers to 'us'............ hope this helps.

post-15096-0-19180200-1398054792_thumb.j

Some special high strength non API grades do get into the 4340 category, but how would you identify it in a used rod?. The API grades are low to medium carbon (35 points at best) I doubt that they would be much good for tools.

To begin in blacksmithing, I had lots of sucker rod available and made lots of punches, and chisels.  It doesn't hold up for very long and to hard use, but I had punches and chisels to use and could make more if needed. So, if it is available to you, go ahead and enjoy making tools to use.  Later on in your blacksmith travels you might try other longer lasting steels.  Good luck.   

Tongs, drifts, fullers; things where the higher than mild steel C content helps but are not buried in hot steel where the low alloy content of general sucker rod does not provide high temp hardness, so no slitting chisels, punches, etc.

Here are a couple of major industry manufacturers/distributors of sucker rods.  You will find specs, both general and technical, on steel types.  You might have to mine deeper on each site and download some pdf files/catalogs for detailed info.  Most complete sucker rods or those with the male pin intact will have some stamps or markings showing what type of rod or steel it is.

http://www.weatherford.com/Products/Production/SuckerRods/

http://www.tenaris.com/en/products/suckerrods.aspx

Also, a google search on "sucker rods" will give you a lot of info.

Thanks everyone.  In a nutshell, it is a bit better than mild steel for making drifts and such--more for practicing the skill of tool making and get some use out of them before they are distorted by hot steel.

Tong material sounds like a bargain.

Anyone know any place near Albuquerque to find sucker rod?

I find mine at the local scrap yard near my house in Lemitar NM.  Also I see it for sale to make fences from---might find a fence builder that has short scraps.  Last time I visited the scrapyard they had some very large sucker rod 1"+  to big for my elbow!

We had our big demo about a month ago.  We had Mark Aspery for a second time.  He used sucker rod to make a lot of tooling to include cutting tools.