I Forge Iron

Hello From British Columbia

Just signed up today, I have been looking for an anvil and stumbled across this forum so thought I would join. I like doing metal work as a hobby and am in the process of accumulating tools for when and if I retire; while I can still afford to buy them. I always wanted a nice heavy anvil but I am discovering I am not the only one apparently! Building a forge is in the long range plans as well.

Nothing much that I am aware of.  There are a couple of cool junk stores up in Clinton,  try to stop in there on the way to the Father-in-laws when going by.  The one had a badly damaged Vulcan or Arm and Hammer can't remember which,  but this is a few years back now.  The Hawk Shop in Grand Forks has a nice champion blower, turns really smooth.  but wants a small fortune for it.  that's about all that I know of at the moment

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. Blacksmithing is a fine hobby, it's not really all that addictive, you won't start buying equipment, tools and such compulsively let alone make fast stops on the highway to pick up that luscious piece of steel just laying there. Oh no, it'll never happen, not in a million years. <grin>

Do a search here for the TPAAT, it's probably the best method I know of for finding anvils and other smithing equipment.

Frosty The Lucky.

Good Morning,

Welcome from the ISLAND.

Vancouver Island Blacksmith Association is having Doug Newell as a Demonstrator April 26-27 if anyone is interested.

Give me a jingle if you wish.

I just had an inquiry from a fellow in Penticton, looking for someplace or someone to hook up with in the Valley.

Neil Gustafson

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. Blacksmithing is a fine hobby, it's not really all that addictive, you won't start buying equipment, tools and such compulsively let alone make fast stops on the highway to pick up that luscious piece of steel just laying there. Oh no, it'll never happen, not in a million years. <grin>

Do a search here for the TPAAT, it's probably the best method I know of for finding anvils and other smithing equipment.

Frosty The Lucky.

Well I am a compulsive tool buyer already, so Blacksmith tools only gives me another avenue to pursue! I have a lathe and milling machine so I am always on the look out for any hunk of iron that I run across. I have been passively looking for an anvil(s) for a while now, but just seriously looking the last few months. I knew they were desirable but not this scarce. I have been kind of using the TPAAT, so we shall see what happens. The area I am in is very slim pickings, so I might make a road trip later in the year down south and see what I can pick up. 

Gerry

Good Morning,

Welcome from the ISLAND.

Vancouver Island Blacksmith Association is having Doug Newell as a Demonstrator April 26-27 if anyone is interested.

Give me a jingle if you wish.

I just had an inquiry from a fellow in Penticton, looking for someplace or someone to hook up with in the Valley.

Neil Gustafson

Hi Neil

Thanks for the welcome! I would like to attend an event like that in the future but April is just too busy for me right now with work and some big events we are hosting at our Fish and Game club. 

Encourage that fellow from Penticton to join the site, always nice to talk with someone local.

Gerry

Well I am a compulsive tool buyer already, so Blacksmith tools only gives me another avenue to pursue! I have a lathe and milling machine so I am always on the look out for any hunk of iron that I run across. I have been passively looking for an anvil(s) for a while now, but just seriously looking the last few months. I knew they were desirable but not this scarce. I have been kind of using the TPAAT, so we shall see what happens. The area I am in is very slim pickings, so I might make a road trip later in the year down south and see what I can pick up. 

Gerry

I know scarce smithing tools, Alaska never was much industrialized so there just wasn't much blacksmithing. Mines and fishing towns is about it. <sigh>

Just turn up the volume on the TPAAT, be sure to mention it to your fish and game buddies. I'm sure someone there knows of one or someone who knows of one Heck, maybe one of the guys uses a 250lb. Hay Budden to keep his boat from drifting off and would be happy to trade for a real anchor he could pull easily.

Frosty The Lucky.

I know scarce smithing tools, Alaska never was much industrialized so there just wasn't much blacksmithing. Mines and fishing towns is about it. <sigh>

Just turn up the volume on the TPAAT, be sure to mention it to your fish and game buddies. I'm sure someone there knows of one or someone who knows of one Heck, maybe one of the guys uses a 250lb. Hay Budden to keep his boat from drifting off and would be happy to trade for a real anchor he could pull easily.

Frosty The Lucky.

I am mentioning it to everyone I know, and they think I am weird already so they take it in stride! haha A guy I work with has several in his family but he never sells anything..which he has made clear a few times! I am going to just keep plugging away, biggest thing is not to panic.

Gerry

Folk who don't think I'm weird just don't know me very well. If folk get a little irritated about you asking suggest they start asking everybody they know because the sooner you find whatever you're looking for the sooner you'll let them be. Sure, you say it with a big smile so they "know" you're joking but shortly they'll realize you're as serious as grabbing the hot end and get with it. Think of it as a "pyramid of anvil's scheme."

Properly executed TPAAT has a person asking everybody they come in contact with friends and family, the checker at the market, the folk in line in front and behind you, the stock boy, the guy at the urinal next to you, mail man, the homeless guy cleaning the windshield. The homeless see a LOT and would undoubtedly be happy with a little finders fee.

Keep yourself on the guy with the anvils radar but don't make so much of a pest of yourself he takes an active dislike to you. Then again if you have an order of protection awarded against you, you'd enter the annals of blacksmithing history and lore. <wink>

Frosty The Lucky.

• 1 month later...

OK, since I first posted here the beginning of April I have been trying to track down an anvil. With no success, I was debating buying a new one as they are scarce at best in this neck of the woods: but I thought patience might be the key? I came close on a few decent ones so I decided to keep the search going. Fast forward and today I brought home a 150 lb Peter Wright and I am picking up a 350 lb Peter Wright on Wednesday! They are bit more pricey up here, but if you take into consideration shipping or driving to pick them up in another area not so much; plus as I found the next guy that comes along will gladly pay the price!  I am having so much fun looking for them it might be hard to stop?  :D

Let the acquisitions begin! Seems finding good blacksmithing tools needs seed stock, next thing you know they're popping up everywhere.

Now, make the wife something, quick! The last thing you want is the missus taking a look at the harvest of oh so necessary and desirable blacksmith gear and thinking they're weeds not a highly desirable crop!

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 years later...

Fairly certain anvils are very large magnets. I looked for months until i got my first one...75 pound PW. Paid a little over 2 bucks/lb. Less than a month after having it I gave my grandpa a back scratcher I made for him and he goes "Oh ...... -long old man pause- .... some stuff in the old shop you can have". Turns out he had a 137lb PW , coal forge and blower , some tongs and a post vice buried in there. Nowadays people throw things at me almost even if I say I dont really want it haha. Like the monstrous sandstone wet grinding wheel that showed up on a pallet on my door step this summer. Also going to neighbor's place to look at some stuff belonging to an old guy who passed.