I Forge Iron

usual spot for marking of Trenton weight ?

I was able to find this clip style anvil in AIA but it was only shown in a brochure ,

couldnt determine why the weight it placed near the bottom , does anyone know ? not that it matters just wondering if it differentiates it from other Trentons style is all

from what I understand the weight is usually located in the middle of the waist or just slightly higher........

doesn't make any difference to me just curious ...........  

I went to look at a PW yesterday and came home with this instead......nice rebound and ring @ $1.60LB I'm very happy with this anvil

DSC09807_zps0429de10.jpg

DSC09808_zps16b2bd51.jpg

DSC09810_zpscd94bbb7.jpg

.......was sent to me today for clarification, interesting read

Source is Anvils in America by Richard Postman, supplemented by correspondence with Mr. Postman. 

Although they look very similar, there are two distinct brands of Trenton anvils, one produced for Hermann Boker and one produced by the Columbus (OH) Forge and Iron Company (CF&I). 

H. Boker is connected to the Boker family business in Germany, which produces fine edged items. He is believed to have either an interested in or have been a broker for the Trenton (NJ) Anvil and Vise Company (TA&V) and had a wrought-iron bodied, steel plate top anvil made in Germany with Trenton stamped on it within a flattened diamond. These are circa 1860-1898. (Anvils stamped H. BOKER are also his responsibility and were also likely made in Germany. These are believed to be prior to 1860. It is possible he began an association with TA&V about then and had the logo stamp simply changed from H. BOKER to TRENTON.) 

Typically these German Trentons can be recognized in having a flat base, the weight is usually stamped below the logo, there is no serial number on the front foot, most have flats on the front and back feet like a Peter Wright anvil, but more pronounced, and those made between circa 1896-1898 will have the word GERMANY stamped either on the side or on the front foot. In general, overall shape is just a bit different than the American Trenton, particularly the front and back feet. 

It is believed when CF&I began producing anvils they hired Mr. Boker due to his knowledge of anvil production and marketing in the U.S. It is speculated he suggested to them (or may have sold them the copyright) they use the name of Trenton since it was already an established anvil brand. Had they not used Trenton, likely their anvil brand would have been BUEL or INDIAN CHIEF (such as used on their post vises).