I Forge Iron

Kitchen Utensil Holder

Paul Crosby

I've been busy making a few items. This utensil holder is made with 1/2 inch wide 1/8 " flat steel. I fastened it with copper rivets to give it a two tone color effect. It stands about 10" high and 8" wide at the bottom. I made two different tiers to be able to add a many items. The hooks are moveable and are made from square nails. The chain is made from 1/8 " round steel and I decided when designing it to make the links so they could be taken off easily or added to, It's actually two feet long. I also made all the items hanging off it. Three spoons one with holes. One ladle and a spatula. I have a cheese cutter as well as a bottle opener. The utensil handles are 5/16 square and 1/4 inch square steel. I use 18 and 20 gauge brass and copper for the utensils. I'm getting ready for two farmers markets and I got accepted to sell at a juried art center.

post-28104-0-29365000-1396402832_thumb.j

post-28104-0-25533400-1396402880_thumb.j

post-28104-0-86909300-1396402913_thumb.j

Make it a bit longer and you could put one of the kids in it! 

I make my no weld chain like I do my S hools with a counterbend on the ends and close them up; it's easy to put two with the ends in opposition and give them a bap and have them link or unlink.  I also use scrap for the links and so have them differing in size and length---I like the look.  Making another link is a common task while waiting for the forge to come up to heat for a "real" job.(right now I'm using the scrap heavy wire used to ship rebar to the steelyard---when they don't use strapping.  I bought 4 55gal drums of it at scrap rate from my steelyard...They wanted to sell me 1/4" round in 20' sticks.  I'm much better suited with the scrap!)

Nice job, I made a pot rack and matching utensil rack set, as gifts from similar 1/8 mild steel forged and  riveted, seeing them after several years I am quite pleased how the bare steel with just an oil finish does not seem to rust, in the kitchen it is apparently more likely to get greasy and not damp,  I think the black metal looks much better than painted.  In other places were I used copper rivets on steel and they remained oiled I have not seen any corrosion even after several years of use,  I have found bracing wire for fencing at the hardwar store, uncoated and annealed I think 8 or 9 gaudge (about like 1/8 round) can be cold worked for braided handles or small chain, and work hardens to become quite stiff, also a huge fan of using scrap of course, keep up the good work

Thanks for al the nice comments and suggestions. I used bees wax for all my finishes. I like the look! I get all of my copper and brass rivets at RJ leahy as well as some steel. But I do make some on occasion. I do use scrap steel when I can find it but most of it is from a steel supplier. So much cheaper.

Actually, the steel yard is 50 miles away and the scrap yard is about 10 miles away. I didn't really mean that steel from the yard was cheaper. I actually have bought scrap at about 2.00 a pound. I just prefer the yard because I can always get it there and don't have to do a lot of searching at the scrap yard. I always plan other stops so it makes it worth the effort.

Love it, Paul.  It's function, looks great and has plenty of adaptability for different needs.  A friend of mine would love that for drying herbs and flowers!

Totally agree with buying steel at the supplier.