I Forge Iron

brazeal style tools

here are some tools ive been working on and cheating on making the the fullers but they wotk great and very cost effective . The only problem ive had while doing these rounding hammers is getting the drift stuck and whether i upset in the cupping tool or not sometimes it seems its almost forge welded in the hammer. ive used anti seize and coal dust . could anybody chime in should i make 3 or so drifts for a single hammer i have two and still seems like it occurs.

The drift will get stuck if it gets forged within the hole. Be sure to 'snug' the hammer onto the drift with every upsetting blow in the cupping tool. This means smacking the struck end of the drift down on the anvil so the hammer's weight brings it further up the drift. Also only hit once before moving lifting the hammer off the cupping tool and switching to a new position. 

I can't see the  taper of your drift from the thumbnail but that could be one thing. 

Upsetting with a flatter and cupping tool at least 4 times rotating 90 degrees each time usually shocks it loose. I'm not far from you if you want to come over one day and troubleshoot. Happy to help.

ForgeMan32, I can't tell much from the tiny picture, either. Alec and trinculo have made some good points. What material did you make the drifts from?

I don't refer to these tools as my style. They are just a very old way of forging tools.

The Mississippi Forge Council is going to try and organize a hammer making class and a hammer making contest towards the end of this year. We just started talking about it last week. I hope they can pull it off. It would be a great event, and we hope to attract everyone interested.

here are some tools ive been working on and cheating on making the the fullers but they wotk great and very cost effective . The only problem ive had while doing these rounding hammers is getting the drift stuck and whether i upset in the cupping tool or not sometimes it seems its almost forge welded in the hammer. ive used anti seize and coal dust . could anybody chime in should i make 3 or so drifts for a single hammer i have two and still seems like it occurs.

i have tried to add my pictures but seems to not attach the file and brian everybody relates to these as your tools . I guess since you have seem to perfected all the the details in forging this very versatile hammer that not to imention is a sweet looking hammer. and you probably work on these tools more than anybody else. Your tools actually made me passionatte about forging and on days im not working i thrive to work on technique more and more.

ForgeMan32, I was exposed to this way of making tools when I worked with Alfred Habermann from 2004-2006. I modified some tools, came up with some simpler and lighter tools, used larger sledge hammers, made larger hammers because Craig Trnka, the founder of the WCB, said they wanted to have a hammer making contest when he saw my brother and I forging hammers at their first contest in Durango, Colorado. This is an old way of making tools, not my way! The WCB is very busy and has not got around to having the contest yet, but there are several people all around the world that are making tools like this now, thanks to the internet and the people that have gone away from here with the basic tools to do this with others, especially the farriers and young smiths. I will be at the A.A.C.B. Blacksmithing Conference May 16 & 17 demonstrating and talking about this and more, also, at the IBF in Devon, England in August with Alec Steele, Daniel Lea, and Daniel Riffe.

Another trick for freeing up a stuck drift is to quench the drift, it'll shrink and you'll be able to drive it out.

As I recall Brian's drifts freed up pretty easily and we did a LOT of forging with the drifts in the eye.

If you click on the "More Options" button select the file to attach from the "Browse" button and lastly you have to click the "Add this File" button.

It'd be a lot easier to give you good advice if we could see the tools. Heck it may be something as simple as a rough drift.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty when u say quench the drift do you mean just dip the small side of the drift that is out one side of the hammer when forging without actually getting hammer wet . am i understanding correctly and my drifts seem to be very smooth i worked them on a belt sander til good and flat but once again im sure i take quite a few more heats than most people be a little newer to forging but im learning and im trying to get a rusty hammer built so i can forge the cheeks in a little less time than striking ( -:

ForgeMan32, I can't tell much from the tiny picture, either. Alec and trinculo have made some good points. What material did you make the drifts from?

I don't refer to these tools as my style. They are just a very old way of forging tools.

The Mississippi Forge Council is going to try and organize a hammer making class and a hammer making contest towards the end of this year. We just started talking about it last week. I hope they can pull it off. It would be a great event, and we hope to attract everyone interested.

Please keep me updated on the details for the competition Brian, I'd love to enter

Yea thats something that i had never heard of is soapstone and now after reading several forums i am gona try to make a few more drifts and make them the capsule shape a little more than mine are now because during the first few hammers i was trying to make i stuck the drift and had to beat it out with a sledge and it killed the hammer body just getting it out