I Forge Iron

Unusual German anvil

I too saw this anvil before Rapula picked it up, very skinny for its size, like 4" (I've forgot the actual size) and the multiple step downs in width. Josh from "anvils4sale" emailed me and stated it could have been a custom order industrial anvil.

except for the face, this anvil was completely covered with tar.  I left most of it, a good protecting coat.  Maybe it was meant to be on a ship.  There are initials of the anvil maker on the upsetting block:  'JRB'

"do you have a lot of German blacksmithing tools and equipment?"

Yes I have a few German anvils, forges and vises.

Is that regional, to Columbia or your area? Here, English anvils and tools seem to be the more numerous of the old and imported to North America. We find them from all over but most of the old iron is English.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm the one holding the California stock for Rapula. Something like 7,000lbs of European anvils, vises and other equipment. Some of the pictured items are already sold. post-35726-0-51526600-1397708219_thumb.j After the CBA Spring Conference next week, I'll post what's available here on the tailgate page. For example, the swage block, the tank anvil and the small Peddingus anvil are gone. Also the S&S and one of the S&H anvils gone. If I sell anything through IFI, I want to make sure they are acknowledged and compensated.

Got another unusual German anvil I'm looking for info on. This one is for sale at this weekends CBA Spring Conference here in Vista CA. Measures about 34" long and 5-6" wide on the face. He thinks it's over 750lbs and with the base much more. No discernible markings on either side. From the priveus owner, it was rumored to have come off a German warship from WW2. He's asking $3K for it. By the way I'm not buying, just trying to help this guy out with some intel.post-35726-0-45198600-1398391175_thumb.j

Got another unusual German anvil I'm looking for info on. This one is for sale at this weekends CBA Spring Conference here in Vista CA. Measures about 34" long and 5-6" wide on the face. He thinks it's over 750lbs and with the base much more. No discernible markings on either side. From the priveus owner, it was rumored to have come off a German warship from WW2. He's asking $3K for it. By the way I'm not buying, just trying to help this guy out with some intel.attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

Typical Austrian design anvil, stepped feet, one horn, one hardie hole, wide face with church windows.  From the measurements, this anvil could weigh about 500 lb. and likely cast steel.  The base is really beautiful, matching this nice anvil.