I Forge Iron

EZ-Weld (Also known as Cherry Heat and Climax welding flux)

I see Centaur Forge sells a can of EZ-weld .... known as Climax welding compound in the 1920's.

This flux according to what I'm reading helps you to forge weld metal at a lower temperature. Unfortunately ..... this stuff is $47.00 a can !!  Did any list members buy a can and would be willing to sell me some ounces of theirs so I can try it ?? I don't want to buy a whole can.

Ohio Rusty ><>

I bought a tin of EZ-Weld a while ago to try it out and I was not impressed. I prefer borax to it except for scarf welds because the iron filings help stick the pieces a bit easier, but I can get the exact same effect from mixing some iron filings into borax. For the price, I personally don't think its worth the money. However, some people love the stuff so it may just be a subjective preference. 

-Crazy Ivan

Centaur sells a smaller can of E-Z for less money than $47. Since 1987, I have been using E-Z Weld on top of borax for various lap welds when two separate pieces are coming together. When the borax is first applied, it gets tacky. When E-Z is put immediately on top, it tends to stick to the borax and not fall off. I've been told that I shouldn't do that, because E-Z is made by the Anti Borax Company. I say ha ha. I don't use E-Z on faggot welds nor on one piece "circular" welds, such as bar horseshoes, rings, and chain links. On these latter, I use borax alone.

tried them all. they all work. haven't tried Turleys variation,( he he that's got a nice ring to it). I prefer grocery store borax and boric acid. mix it about 3 to 1. pure boric acid is avalable at your pharmacy. no need to do rat poison/boric acid. cheap and good stuff.

make sure you get 20 mule team borax. not soap or scented.