I Forge Iron

My take on Albert Craven Sheffield Blade Tongs

Eddie Mullins

I'm not sure what the proper name for these tongs would be, I have been wanting to make them ever since I spotted the tongs Albert Craven used in one of my favorite videos http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpeyhC-UIFg . I wanted something to use while forging knives and working with flat sock that could accomodate various width, thickness and bevels. The tongs resemble box tongs except there is only 1 vertical side, not two allowing different widths to be held, and the other jaw is curved down rather than flat, allowing uneven or bevel surfaces to be griped. This video is the only instance I have seen of this style, but they could be widely used as my experience is limited, At any rate here is my attempt, drawn out from 5/8" round A36. They hold surprisingly well and are springy enough to hold from 1/8 or thinner up to 3/8 pretty comfortably.

Also pictured is another HF hammer I modded. This is a small I think 4 lb sledge I rounded 1 face of and reprofiled the handle. It draws out material quite well.

post-37148-0-15122000-1394254747_thumb.j  post-37148-0-14963200-1394254752_thumb.j  post-37148-0-60165200-1394254754_thumb.j

Not a bad idea.  The side lip prevents a flip-out and the tooth of the other jaw minimizes heat loss through surface contact while still giving you a secure grip.  You could even bend the jaw up a bit if you needed to hold thicker stock for a project.

Not a bad idea.  The side lip prevents a flip-out and the tooth of the other jaw minimizes heat loss through surface contact while still giving you a secure grip.  You could even bend the jaw up a bit if you needed to hold thicker stock for a project.

I didn't even think about the reduced heat loss. Adjusting jaws is a pretty common practice for me, I am upto 12 pair of tongs now, but no where near enough so I adjust whats on hand when needed.

Francis - I am planning to make a pair of that or similar style, I have seen a few of those for holding flat to larger stock. Seems to be a pretty versatile design and can be done without drawing out larger stock. I'm not sure what promted the making excuses for my hammer comment though. If its in reference to the hammer I mentioned, its just one of several I have altered that I got  from HF. I own a few cross peens of different sizes.  I'm still figuring out what profile and weight of hammer I like. For drawing out stock I am finding I like using a heavier rounding hammer choked up and working on the edge of the anvil. This cheap HF was just a quick means for me to get one. Hope to make my own someday.

The school blacksmithing club is running off of my collection, accumulytis can be a useful disease if you are into sharing and not just hoarding.

I bought a couple drywall buckets of mixed stuff when someone else in NC was downsizing. If I was not broke, I would have popped the tires on my Expedition leaving Quad-State last Fall.

Well these arent perfectly symetrical,but no blame is to be placed on the hammers used : ) . They do work quite well. Made from 1/2" A36, I'll be making some different versions of these for different stock. Hoffi makes a similar version as do others, lots of potential.

post-37148-0-92264800-1394414193_thumb.j

post-37148-0-16632800-1394414197_thumb.j

These 1 were 1 of 4 differnt tongs I made this weekend bringing my count of useable tongs I have made to 11 (a few went to the scrap pile early on), I also have a couple pair made by friends that were given to me, so my total is 13 currently, I plan to add a few more, but now I need a different tong rack. Good problem to have though.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/03/2014 at 1:23 AM, John McPherson said:

I am up to 120 sets of tongs, and still constantly adjusting something to fit. You will get used to it.

120?! That's a lot John, I've got about 5. I started off with vise grips.

I haven't made any tongs yet. 

• 2 years later...

Reviving an old thread, I can't see the photos in the OP (lost to the great image dump masquerading as a software update a couple of years ago). When I watched the video of Mr. Craven, it looks like he was using a one-sided box-jaw tong; is that right? But how is the upper jaw curved?