I Forge Iron

• 6 months later...

The STAR anvils in the Fisher & Norris Factory Museum.  First picture is the smallest and biggest in the collection.  20 lb on top, 240 lb on the bottom.  Second picture is the complete line-up.  240 lb on the far end, to a STAR stake, STAR hornless, and a STAR sawmakers.  23 STAR anvils in the line.IMG_20160116_104416211.thumb.jpg.f4ff63bIMG_20160114_102715205.thumb.jpg.254de3c

The indentation is a copy of what Fisher was doing at the time.  The principals in the STAR foundry were former Fisher employees.  Mark Fisher actually sued STAR for patent infringement, but lost.  STAR did the "tempering cavity" and a few other things different enough to win the suit.

As to why Fisher first put that shape into the base, one can only conjecture.  Perhaps for mounting the anvil?

Greetings Josh, 

The only star I see in your collection is you . Thank you for your continued preservation of what is really important . Thank you for sharing your knowledge and expertise . May it go on for a long long time. You are a wonderful assert to our community .!

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

• 2 years later...
On 8/31/2018 at 8:31 PM, njanvilman said:

Soon to be added to the collection STAR #27.  Second heaviest STAR anvil known.  Top face dimension of 12" x 6 1/2".

The part of the post with the weight got edited out by an Admin.   The anvil is 314 lb.  There is a 325 lb (unverified) identical pattern STAR out there too.

IMG_20180831_164934538.jpg

Good grief I could've figured that, you posted the dimensions after all, scaling it's height is easy, I have calipers AND at least 3 scales within reach. 270 lbs. would've been about 6" wide, the 1/2" accounts for the other 44 lbs. nicely. Another 11 lbs. would be almost indistinguishable without measuring. What another 1/8" wide or maybe larger feet, bolt lugs, or? 11 lbs of iron is about coffee mug size +/-.

Man, that thing would look GOOD painted my shop colors, gold star on hunter green. Beautiful, just lovely. :) Not that it looks bad now but . . .

Frosty The Lucky.

On 9/1/2018 at 11:59 AM, Frosty said:

Man, that thing would look GOOD painted my shop colors, gold star on hunter green. Beautiful, just lovely. :) Not that it looks bad now but . . .

Frosty

But the anvil is about 6000 miles away from you.  A long hike.  Someday everything will be liquidated.  I will let you know a month ahead of time so you can begin your journey.

Yup, the difference in 11 lb of iron is almost insignificant.  Maybe 1/4" in height.

Heck, neither your toe nor Wile E coyote would know the difference. 

Heh, heh, heh, someday we'll all be liquidated. Natural causes I hope, quick natural causes for me please. Yeah the tree was quick but ineffective and I still hurt. If you see a casket with a carrot at the sale you know I'm there and haven't really changed.:ph34r:

If I bid, OPEN THE CASKET I'M NOT DEAD! :o

Frosty The Lucky.

• 3 years later...

I have been neglectful for not posting more in this thread of American STAR anvils.  A few updates:

There are now 27 STAR anvils in the Fisher & Norris Factory Museum.

The largest/heaviest STAR known is now here.  It is a 420 lb. Sawmaker's anvil.  The collection also has a 315 lb and 210 lb Sawmaker's anvils.  These are very rare.  Not many were made, and few survive.

Also a rare piece is the Hornless STAR anvil, shown in the second photo to the left of the Sawmaker's.  This is the only one I have ever encountered.  It was bought on EBAY many years ago, and picked up only about 35 miles from me.

The dates of this companies exitance have  now been confirmed to be from 1852 to 1868.  It closed because the principle owner retired.  Fisher did not buy them out.

420 lb STAR on the left.  315 lb STAR on the right.

1077972465_STARsaw13.thumb.jpg.ab1ff152dc183f93b94f758d52a48b9a.jpg

196 lb Hornless STAR on the left.  210 lb STAR Sawmaker's on the right.

916195299_STARsaw14.thumb.jpg.699cee7c7546cd443523ebaa750e2317.jpg