I Forge Iron

Soderfors

Frosty

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations! A word of experience here, Soderfors anvils don't need NO steenkeen babying! Mount her up and go to work, HOT steel and hammers is all she wants or needs.

I wanna see! Where's the pics?

Frosty The Lucky.

14 hours ago, Frosty said:

Congratulations! A word of experience here, Soderfors anvils don't need NO steenkeen babying! Mount her up and go to work, HOT steel and hammers is all she wants or needs.

I wanna see! Where's the pics?

Frosty The Lucky.

Yeah, check out the video of Crazy Ivan and I drifting the holes in the block of S7 for a striking anvil over in his thread. That's my Soderfors under that 65lb block, no babying required. 

J

This is Ingrid. She hails from Soderfors, Sweden. She is 116 years old. She is as svelte as the day she was born/forged. Her measurements are: Height: 11 1/4" Length: 26 5/8" Base: 9 5/8"x10 5/8" Face: 4" Weight: #150. Pritchel: 1/2" Hardy: 1" - I took her out yesterday. We were married after the first date. Her rebound is 9" + - She will be performing at my reconstituted shop: Rawhide Blacksmith in the near future.

P1010497.JPG

P1010498.JPG

P1010499.JPG

P1010500.JPG

P1010501.JPG

P1010502.JPG

P1010503.JPG

P1010504.JPG

• 3 months later...

Finally found the Soderfors of my dreams- Last night I picked up a 175 KG (385lbs) soderfors anvil, I have been looking for an exceptional anvil for some time not that all soderfors aren't exceptional. This one is pretty unique. Its a Bohemian - church windows in very nice condition. double stamped with the manufacturing date 1928. I have only seen a few of these and only in pictures. As expected the anvil has a super rebound. It was obviously used by a craftsman who cared for it because it has honest wear, just a little sway and only a few chips on the edges. It wasn't cheap but because of its rarity, price wise it wasn't too out of line. 

soderfors and a-h2 002.jpg

soderfors and a-h3 005.jpg

soderfors and a-h6 011.jpg

soderfors and a-h7 013.jpg

soderfors and a-h4 006.jpg

FF, I've only seen one other of that pattern from Soderfors, it had some wear and was too pricey for me.  But I totally agree with you, a dream anvil I'd love to own, one of my favorite patterns! Congrats on owning an anvil of a lifetime :-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/4/2016 at 6:01 PM, Frozenforge said:

Wash it with tide powder detergent (caustic) with as hot of water as you can, rinse with hot water and also get the anvil warm with the hot water. Wipe the face and horn with grease where you dont want it to start aquiring patina.  Rinse the rest with some muratic acid and place it in a warm humid place and it will start to rust quite quickly. 

Bleach/hydrogen peroxide applied to the warm iron will patinate, as well.

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 4:45 PM, Jakesshop said:

Here is another Soderfors I have in my shop right now. 334 pound North German style made in 1925. The previous owner sand blasted it and painted it all black to "make it look better". I removed the offending paint and only put some boiled linseed oil on it. Kinda wished I hadn't oiled it so it would get that nice patina again.

Was in reference to his last sentence....

• 1 year later...

I recently purchased a Soderfors anvil, 200lb made in Sweden. Stamped with 1923.. There is another stamp under the 200lb impression but cannot read it.. Starts with a D*****

Can't wait to put it to use.. One side of the face has some damage, but otherwise in good condition. Now to clean it up and oil it

Soderfors-anvil-017 (2).jpg

Soderfors-anvil-017 (4).jpg

Soderfors-anvil-017 (5).jpg

Could be "DANNEMORA", tho I can only make out the D on yours. My Soderfors is a similar vintage, same style markings, and has the Dannemora mark. It's the name of the mine /region where the iron came from.

Thanks D.C. I was thinking the same thing. Pity the stamping is a bit haphazard. Nice to have an anvil with at least a good face and edge. My old girl I got years ago, had no heel, hardy etc.. all edges were damaged except the horn so has been a challenge to do some things. Very happy with this girl

• 1 year later...

First post here, though this was note worthy, I drove 10 hours round trip over to PA last weekend for my first anvil. A 150lb, 1920 Soderfors made in Stockholm, Sweden. 

IMG_2019-12-09_17-53-55.thumb.jpeg.e72b587258e6c9ace207363fb682aecb.jpeg

IMG_2019-12-09_17-48-37.thumb.jpeg.b4ad6bf44fbb2fc4802c9f0d8e3c5b90.jpeg

I had been working off my improvised anvil for a little under a year. It was a ~3" round of hardened steel maybe 10-12" long that I freed from some larger assembly I found in a local scrapyard. It worked well enough to make small things and to learn hammer control with while I saved up some funds. Since this is my first anvil, in terms of a review I can't really offer any insight as to how it compares to anvils from other makers, what I can say is that I love working on this gal.

She's very lively. I haven't done a formal rebound test or anything, just light bouncing of a hammer on the face, but it is certainly better than what I was working on before, and she moves steel much more efficiently.  She is also LOUD, rang like a bell with every hammer strike until I stuck 2 very strong magnets I had laying around from building a dc motor which has helped a lot. I'm also going to modify the stand, which came as you see in the picture, to hold her down a little tighter. Which I think should kill the rest. Or at least most of it.

Her previous owner definitely put her to work so she has some character, which I don't mind at all. Definite sway in the face on the sweet spot, the edges have a little chipping, but there is still a ton of area to work on and there is also a cut in the face over by the pritchel hole. Possibly from a torch? I have no idea, maybe one of you guys can correct me if I'm wrong.

IMG_2019-12-09_17-56-11.thumb.jpeg.3bd3adb0dbe214dc7206e0b426b026ac.jpeg

IMG_2019-12-09_17-55-08.thumb.jpeg.67a95dd21d8e4f54c31982482c143604.jpeg

IMG_2019-12-09_17-55-25.thumb.jpeg.517f94abd6baa0b84060c302d6fabc10.jpeg

IMG_2019-12-09_17-50-47.thumb.jpeg.1213a9b009847a54fabf8eff43c5e090.jpeg

IMG_2019-12-09_17-55-35.thumb.jpeg.95bc176c0f0ad81617908e0926dbacf1.jpeg

When I first got her she had a thick coat of brown paint, which I was able to remove for the most part with several hours of scrubbing and wire wheeling. I didn't want to make the surface shiny and clean just so I could beat on it with a hammer, but I didn't like the brown. During cleanup I found some other stamps and I am curious if anyone might be able to provide some information on. Under the heel on the foot there is the date, 1920, and under that there is a number 6. Not sure why it's there or what it means. Also to the left of that, there is another stamp which is upside down, but is an F inside a C. Looks like maybe a touch mark from a previous owner, or a stamp from when it was imported, or maybe that's just how it left the factory. Hard for me to say. 

IMG_2019-12-09_17-51-30.thumb.jpeg.b8375298bc6d527236073e08f8cfd78d.jpeg

IMG_2019-12-09_17-53-05.thumb.jpeg.b0bdce38f72dfc0412267190a91d8dd5.jpeg

Those are the only stamps I've seen so far. 

I ended up paying 700 bucks for the anvil with a hardy, a post vise (no markings that I saw on it on it), a Reed Mfg bench vise, (pictures here if you care to see and some other smaller tools, which seems fair to me.

vise01.jpg

vise2 copy.jpg

vise3.jpg

vise4.jpg

Even if you think I took a bath at that price I am very happy with my purchase and that I took the long drive out there. The guy I bought her from is a retired farrier who was selling off some of the stuff in his shop, which was full of different anvils (probably 15-20 or so, I wasn't really counting) ranging from 10-500 lbs, and tons (perhaps literally) of vises he'd acquired from 30 years of collecting. Real nice guy. I've seen pictures the of the anvil pyramids here, but to see stacks of Colombian and Fisher anvils as well as the various other ones he had tucked away around his shop was really cool to see in person. I'll admit I may have drooled a bit as he showed me around. 

So overall, in my humble estimation,  Soderfors makes a quality anvil and I look forward to using it for a long time to come. 

PS sorry if the pictures look bad on your end. I have a flip phone that was not made to take nice pictures, did my best with the lighting.