I Forge Iron

Soderfors

Frosty

You actually WANT me to talk MORE about my Soderfors Glenn? You be a glutton man. <grin>

It's a 125lb Soderfors Sorceress #5, made in 1933. It's cast Swedish steel and will blunt a cold chisel without a mark. The edges are susceptible to chipping though it only has a few. The face is almost shiny smooth. It's the finest anvil I've ever used, bar none.

What I know about it's history is hearsay from the guy I bought it from. He said he got it from the fellow who taught him farrier work and that fellow's father brought it from Sweden when they emigrated.

One of the guys at work told me about it, his neighbor was selling off his farrier tools, his back was shot and he had to get out. I believe that was somewhere around 1978 or maybe 77 but I don't think it was that early.

Would I recommend one? Oh BABY would I recommend buying one! Mine moves metal better at 125lbs. that good anvils more than 4x as heavy will. I'm thinking if I had to lose all but one tool, that's the one I'd keep.

Frosty the Lucky.

post-975-0-18476100-1393674900_thumb.jpg

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was not a maker I was familiar with. At some point I'll buy another and based on Frosty's review this seems like it good be a good candidate. Its a shame the ringing seems to be so loud. Do clips, magnets, bedding, etc not even bring it down to a manageable level?

I really enjoy my 200lb soderfors. It is a 1928 one as well. They will ring like crazy however I have mine on a hybrid stand of metal and sand. It is securely attached now with bolts and a chain. Gets rid of the ring so now its a dull thwap. So much quieter. 

Wanted to add it has very good rebound. The edges have a few chips in them but someone long ago slightly rounded most of them so they hold up pretty good now. 

Here are some pics of mine. I haven't used it much lately as it rings so much more than my 206# Fisher, and I have one close neighbor.

Shame to see it going to rust like that, I could help you out with that...it would look nice next to my fisher. I promise I will wait till the neighbors have had their coffee before I use it.
Seriously though I do love my fisher, but the difference in effort is quite evident between the two extremes.

Wow, I thought I was just replying to Glenns anvil review post. Wrong button?

I quieted mine down considerably by putting it on a fabricated steel stand. The horn and heal are still hearing hazards but it's tamed some. Some other things I really like about the 3 legged steel stand are: it's stable on uneven surfaces, I can work really close and it has a handy shelf acting as spreaders for the legs. The anvil just sits in the stand but is wedged in with the hammer and tong wracks. I haven't gotten around to making it yet but I want another rack under the heal so I can put handy things in it. Say a pan with water to catch punch outs, or quench punches and chisels. A little shelf or tray might be handy too.

Anyhow, both my shop anvils are on steel stands, quieter, more mobile and more stable.

Frosty The Lucky.

Here's my lovely Soderfors anvil.  Made in 1924, weighing in at 510#.

This anvil has outstanding rebound.

I did not need this anvil when the opportunity presented itself, but I couldn't let something like this pass by, especially considering the condition it is in.
I know I would've kicked myself for the rest of my life if I hadn't snagged it....   I had to drive 5 hours each way to get it, but I am very glad I did.

The anvil has a cast "SODERFORS, SWEDEN" on one side, and the stampings on the other side that are pictured below.

Interesting combination in that it carries the Columbian stamp too, no Paragon markings.
Soderfors made anvils for Columbian for a while during that time period, according to Postman.

This anvil has the Dannemora stamp on there, indicating the mining/iron district in Sweden where the iron ore came from to make this anvil.
Dannemora steel was claimed to be of a higher quality than other steels of the time.
Some Soderfors of the same time period I’ve seen do not have the Dannemora stamp (that I can find) on them. 

This anvil has a nice stand with formed arch holders fit to the base of the anvil. 

Four little tack welds at the ends of the arches secure the anvil to the base.

Base is thick and beefy with a top plate welded to the cast base.

I don’t have a scale large enough to measure the whole thing, but I’m guessing the base adds another 150 pounds(?) to the package. 

It had many decades of grime/dirt/rust on it, but it cleaned up nicely.

Sod510-1.jpg

Sod510-4.jpg

Sod510-3.jpg

CM- Yup, that was the one in Grand Rapids.  I'm glad I made the drive.  ;)

BGD-  Those are not chisel marks, you can see that the factory stamps are cleanly impressed into of all that surface texture. 

More like some sort of original finishing (or cast molding texture?) from the factory I'm guessing.....  I've seen other large Soderfors similar to this.

• 8 months later...

I resently acquired this 257lbs Soderfors from the widow of the late Art Adams of Fresno CA. This was the anvil I learned on nearly 20 years ago and got me hooked on blacksmithing. It had sat in his little smithy for 6 years while his health faded. I cleaned it up (along with the Mousehole behind it) and treated it to a liberal coat of boiled linseed oil. It still has fairly good rebound at about 75-80%. Less than my S&H.

post-35726-0-58932500-1417051207_thumb.j

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome aboard Blokman, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the IFI gang live within visiting distance.

Beautiful anvil you have their, now I'm really suffering Soderfors envy. <wistful sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.

• 1 month later...

Hi all, From what I've read here it seems you are all die hard fans of the Soderfors anvils. I'm considering buying a 100# model from 1928. It's about a 4 hour drive away so I figured I'd get your opinions of the pics before driving all that way. They are asking $350, Canadian dollars,  for it which is about middle range pricing compared to what I've seen other anvils going for around here.

ideally I would like something a little larger but this just came up and from what i've read here these anvils will perform above their weight range. 

again just after some opinions.

Thanks guys!

$_20.JPG$_20.JPG$_20.JPG

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. Please don't mistake my unabashed enthusiasm for Soderfors anvils for a general consensus of the IFI gang. That said I'd grab it in a heartbeat provided there weren't any hidden damage, say it'd been through a fire and had it's temper drawn out. Of course that's just me, but the other guy's opinions are suspect though. <wink>

They're great anvils and that's probably a fair price depending on where you are.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 4 weeks later...

First post so be gentle...

My cousin and I decided a few years ago that we would get into blacksmithing as a hobby and something for us to do at family campouts and during the holidays. After much searching and patience I finally had the chance to get my first anvil.  Being out on the west coast there is a fair bit of competition for quality anvils and they seem to command a premium as such we had been scouring the usual sources flea markets, antique stores, and estates sales hoping to find a diamond in the rough... Flash forward to this Monday when my cousin saw a post on CL for a 150lb Soderfor that was within 15 miles of us. The price was a little steep but came with a stand and a few tools. We figured what the heck let's check it out. It was in amazing shape, flat face with very little pitting/marks and well oiled and cared for over the years.  We used a ball bearing and ruler to check its rebound and rang it a couple times with the hammer to see if we could hear any inconsistencies but none were to be found. I paid about $4/lb for it, but considering its condition I thought it was a fair price.

The rust in the final picture is a bit exaggerated by the flash on my camera.

Now i just need to finish off my forge...

AwszPOv.jpg

1Tixk2w.jpg

oQ1iYXu.jpg

OfAthk7.jpg

Welcome aboard Addicted, glad to have you. If you'll put our general location in the header you'll be surprised how many of the IFI gang live within visiting distance.

That's a SWEET deal on a near pristine Soderfors, I would've jumped on it and gladly suffered the wrath of Deb. IN a heartbeat. I would've sold my 206lb. Trenton without a second thought to pay for it.

Soderfors have really hard faces so chipped edges are to be expected, a little clean up is the norm if it bothers you. I'm suffering Soderfors envy AGAIN! <sigh.

Hey...the cousin here. Uploaded a pic of the bearing bounce. Started the ball bearing touching the inside edge. It's a 1" bearing so that puts it at 10" above the anvil. Bearing comes up just a smidge past 9.5". I had a hard time keeping the smile off my face in front of the seller when I saw that it had a 95% or better rebound. 

image.jpg