I Forge Iron

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New Fisher Sawmaker's anvil added to the Fisher & Norris Factory Museum.  101 lb.  4 1/2" x 9" face.  A standard listed size in their literature.  Made in 1890.  Fisher made Sawmaker's anvils from about 38 lb to 700 lb.  Most were in the 80 to 300 lb range.IMG_20180319_162405789.thumb.jpg.c8611a951f64ad08c59ecb4f3075572b.jpgIMG_20180319_162349183.thumb.jpg.6692683a99fb5b04d6d9f58e01b773a7.jpg

• 1 month later...

First picture of newest anvil into the Fisher & Norris Factory Museum.  Roughly 400 lb Fisher, 39" length, European Pattern Double Horn.  Made in 1924.  Very rare pattern.  This one joins the other one of the same design(286 lb) in the Museum.  More pictures after cleanup and oiling.IMG_20180509_195128673_HDR.thumb.jpg.e4b440a1db5fbda3ec6bc58cd52971c4.jpg

I have found an 80lb fisher saw makers anvil at an auction. They have it listed as a horse anchor. I bet nobody will know what it is and i can get it for less than $50. I knew what it was immediately. The auction is next weekend. Im hoing its raining and cold and nobody shows up. I will get some pictures. The eagle is a little hard to make out but its there and there is moss growing on it. I've never been more excited for an auction.

9 hours ago, JlBlohm said:

Nice find. Do you get leads to these beauties. 

No.  Just time spent researching various online sources and taking the time and effort to attend the sales.  Also being able to recognize what they are selling, often from lousy photos.

I have a 1928 Fisher sawyer 100 lb. anvil. It was used for several years before an untimely death. His grieving wife decided to save & store several of his  most precious tools in a secluded area away from bickering family members. Years later (60yrs.) forgotten about, & after her death some items were discovered and is now up for sale. The anvil is pristine museum /collector condition. It's rarity  & condition warrants a good price. My question is? what is a fare asking amount for It?

I am confused when I see worn, abused anvils & even small post vises for $500.00 & up. Does any one have a idea that would help us. Thank You

Remember when looking at prices on line: you can ask for any price---it's what it sells at that is the selling price. Example:  I could advertise a post vise for 5 trillion US dollars; it does not mean it would be worth that much.  Also be wary of outliers: if 20 postvises sell for US$80 and one sells for US$200 it does not mean the others were sold at too low a price...

Wow, a post vise for 5 trillion, the one I have is bigger and nicer...if that one is 5 I could probably get 8 trillion. Thank you Thomas, great example. 

It is worth what someone is willing to pay. 

N.N.F.              Beautiful, Manchester, Michigan. USA

I've been seeing a lot of price inflation locally; someone lists a mint PW for US$3 a pound so some one with a beat up Vulcan lists it for $3 a pound and people not knowing the difference will pay it. and so on...

With all the new people flooding the market it's become very inefficient!

On 5/25/2018 at 10:54 AM, alvin hilerio said:

The anvil is pristine museum /collector condition. It's rarity  & condition warrants a good price.

To me it is not worth more than $1 a pound, as are all other used anvils to me. To me they are just a lump of steel that I use to make other items with, simply a tool. Others will get all doe eyed and espouse much higher value due to "rarity" and condition............ I have bought minty anvils, and they get used just like the rest that I have, no special treatment. But hey, that is just my opinion.  So, to answer your question directly - what can YOU afford to pay comfortably and be happy with the price? It doesn't matter what anyone else can or does pay.

Now remember that the Fisher sawyer's anvils were never meant for hot forging, and always had a cold saw blade between the face and the hammer. The tops are very hard (brittle) and a missed blow can chip them.

A friend was recently given a very heavy Fisher sawyer's anvil that is in excellent shape.

I posted the 100 lb. sawyer anvil recently. It is my opinion that a television show appeared to bring a new life to an very old trade. Now every one wants to be a blacksmith & believe they have a natural ability to manufacture beautiful knives, door knockers, & other metal items because they purchased top equipment. They have NO IDEA the metal qualities, & types'  in manipulating steels to react to their wishes. I am a smith in metal fabrication, but instead of only using a forge I mostly use a oxy torch & it's faster. A large flame burner works just fine for me & I'm just as proud as a forging process. I also believe we will soon see many smithing  tools for sale cheap after people have realize the spec- alality of the metal manipulating process & their laziness, lack of physical strength, or god forbid burn down their shop or home.

I think "new life" started with the creation of ABANA and the trade had been growing steadly as a hobby since then.  I mean the blacksmith RFP went out on the internet when it was still ascii based and rec.crafts.metalworking had been where we were hanging out in the early/mid 90's.

Folks seem to think that because they didn't know about it; it didn't exist---instead of that they just didn't know about it...

I agree the TV shows have flooded the craft recently and I'm not to sure that was a good thing...I liked the filter that folks had to dig a bit to find the craft---and I teach for free!  I just had a student ask me if it was OK for him to teach another guy the basics; I told him he didn't need my permission; just teach what you know and tell them when you've reached your limit (teaching will push that limit out a lot!)