I Forge Iron

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The cost of used anvils has gotten so silly that they have way eclipsed new anvil prices for example there is a 225lb Fisher anvil just listed on Ebay for $2000. It looks to be in nice shape even tho it is painted. Then take a look at at the papa rhino anvil 242lb for $1250 which are incredible quality anvils. Some how the word needs to get out to the newbies that the old anvils are being overpriced by speculators and collectors. We owe it to the newbies that come on here and ask for our opinions to tell them the truth.

Don't fall for a beat up anvil just because it is a Hay Budden or Peter Wright or ?

I think the problem is that they don't realize that high quality anvils are available new. I wonder if Glenn would allow us to put a list of links to the major blacksmithing supply companies' catalogs on IFI so new people can know what a "max price" might be?

• 1 month later...

I finally got the FISHER Double Horn anvil cleaned up and in the museum.  This is the only one of these I have ever seen.  Until 6 weeks ago, I did not know that this style had been made by Fisher & Norris.  Weighs about 260 lb.IMG_20170727_091012836_HDR.thumb.jpg.4707cd450e467bbd09abe813a59de526.jpg

15 hours ago, Lou L said:

That would look so nice in my shop!  Very cool anvil.  I'd love to know the lengths you go to find these things.

That anvil was offered to me through a referral from a friend.  I drove 200+ miles each way, plus a night at a local motel.  But I also brought home two other Fishers on the same trip at two other stops.  A very busy two days.  I have traveled many thousands of miles to look and collect some of these.  And having a wad of Benjamin's helps.  But I have also passed on more anvils than I own.  There are lots of great anvils out there for anyone willing to travel, and pay.

I'm seriously considering just saving up and buying new for my next anvil.  My current anvil has great age and history but I have had a hard time finding anvils in the size range I seek.  I have done a decent amount of driving and keep having near misses as others beat me to them.  I'm selling a bunch of other people's and ends I own to build up the Benjamins.

I'm looking for something between 240 to 300#.  I honestly don't need it as of yet... But I will soon enough.  I could probably do wonderfully for quite some time with my 150# Hill along with a good striking anvil.  Every time I try to source the steel for a striking anvil I convince myself it would be better to save for a larger anvil instead.  When my shop space is done I will have room for two striking areas.  I figure a big anvil would offer more to me.  Plus, the junk I need to sell in order to enlarge my shop area will be funding the new anvil.

• 2 months later...

Another 700 lb Fisher came home from Quad States with me.  It is the one on the left.  It is next to another 700 on loan from a friend.  There are now three 700 lb Fishers in the museum, and a total of 15 Fisher anvils 500 lb or greater.   All three of the 700 lb anvils were made from the same wood pattern, with about 50 years between the earliest and latest. 

If anyone is ever near Central NJ, contact me to arrange a visit and tour.IMG_20170928_154450846_HDR.thumb.jpg.3c1d88a4708fd8d38482c851ef27171b.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Newest addition to the Fisher & Norris Factory Museum:  100 lb Fisher/Crossley anvil, made in 1978.  100 point anvil.  It has never been used.  US military surplus.  There is still some of the cosmoline grease on it.  This anvil has the mounting lugs

on the ends of the legs, a change made on 100 lb anvils in the late 1970's.  Crossley ended anvil production at the end of 1979.IMG_20171103_154815342.thumb.jpg.d9f67f86630b66e3d25e57c93b61d726.jpg

6 hours ago, Daswulf said:

Very nice. Does it have a U.S. Property stamp on it? 

No gov't markings.  It was saved from scrap by an Air Force serviceman 8 years ago in its original crate.  Too bad the crate was lost over time.  It was never used or unpacked before the gentlemen saved it from the scrap bin.

On 11/7/2017 at 10:13 PM, Frozenforge said:

Very nice, I was very excited when I started to clean mine and realized it was cosmoline under the dust and dirt. 

Your anvil does have the short factory radius on the edge.  Nice anvil.  Is there a date or code under the heel?