I Forge Iron

My collection of marked FISHER tools.  Most are just marked FISHER, a few have that and also TRENTON, NJ.   These were made both for sale and for internal company use.  There are saw hammers, picks,chisel, hardy, and round faced hammers on display.  These tools are rare.  They do turn up at random place and are never cheap.  Fisher & Norris always had a blacksmith's shop to make tools both for sale and use.  On the sides are pieces of Petrified Wood, just because I love petrified wood.IMG_20170210_105302201.thumb.jpg.87a9882f554604e5bb219abc2b63fdd4.jpg

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

It kind of all depends who wants it and how bad.  I have seen them sell for anywhere from $40 to $400 in perfect shape.  No edge chips, no damage.  As I am still a buyer, I always like to buy as inexpensively as I can.  If it is for sale, contact me at njanvilman@gmail.com for a private conversation.  Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

New addition to Fisher & Norris History:  Double Horn Yorkshire style Fisher anvil.  280 lb.  This is probably a custom, one-off anvil.  This style is different from the Insonora export anvil, and different from the European Double Export anvil that Fisher made.  This is the only one I have ever seen.  This style was not advertised at all.  Fisher claimed to have over 300 stock patterns, and would make any style pattern if they did not have what the customer wanted.  

If you want to see it, come to NJ to visit the Fisher & Norris Factory Museum.IMG_20170613_054409547.thumb.jpg.1f3a7bb442dd8e1f0951f498299971b6.jpg

New to the forums and blacksmithing and forging. Want to start experimenting with it and going to buy my first anvil. Found a 150lb fisher I think it is. 1899 stamped on back, eagle on side, just wondering what a fair price would be? 

Any response, history of anvil or input would be appreciated.

IMG_0558.JPG

5 minutes ago, BamaIron said:

just wondering what a fair price would be?

Without knowing where you are (which you can tell us by putting your location in your profile settings), that's impossible to say. Anvil prices can vary widely, depending on region.

Check that anvil carefully for rebound and soundness.  Going by your picture alone, it looks like there "might" have been welding repairs done to all of the edges.  This does not neccessarily affect it, but check it carefully.  Or someone just flap sanded/ground all around the top to "improve" the edges.  Either way, check it out carefully.

going to the auction to try and get it today. If I get it I will post better pics. I looked at it yesterday and it didn't appear to be welded anywhere. Looks almost if it hasn't even been used. Will look it over again good prior to auction. Thanks. Hopefully I get it and can post some more pics later. Ready to get an anvil and propane forge and start a new hobby/ or obsession! LOL, probably what it will turn into.

Yea I noticed that too when looking at it. At auction now and hope to get it here soon. Really been wanting a Hay Buddens anvil but found this one a couple days ago. Hope to get it here in the next couple hours if I'm lucky. Thanks for your input though. Any info is helpful cause I'm definitely a newbie at this. 

I'm no expert, but the edges looked completely intact to me. What you may have seen from the picture was what appeared to be a little black paint that had gotten on the center. Was the only paint that I seen any where on the anvil. It was in great shape, but just too steep of a price to me. 

Thanks, nice to know someone else local that is interested in blacksmithing. I'm a newbie and just getting into it. I have been to tannehill several times long ago in the past. Might have to check back there when they have that conference again. That anvil went for a crazy price and I bid up way higher than I had planned. They guy bought it for $890. Just seemed way too high. I'll continue to look and. Red to get me a shop built to put all this stuff first anyway! 

You should come out to a Vulcan Forge meeting at Tannehill some time. We meed the 2nd Sunday of each month. I think there is a Facebook page that probably has all the dates/info but I don't do FB anymore so I'm not positive what they have on there. 

On 6/18/2017 at 3:09 PM, BamaIron said:

LOL, didn't get the anvil. Seemed way too high to me. It sold for $890 bucks! Was a 150lb fisher. I'll hold out to get exactly what I want.

Wow, for that price they could have gotten a brand new, cast steel 240 pound anvil.  I think that many people don't realize they are still being made.