I Forge Iron

Anvil Reviews by name or brand

Glenn

I found a store called Texas ferriers supply in kennedale Tx they have new ferrier anvils they are $275 for 65lb'ers. Has anyone ever had any dealings with this store?

Ive been there, nice group of guys, used to buy my coke there. Peresonally, 65 is a little light, but you can still do most things on it that you could a 100lber.

That vulcan isnt bad for a first anvil. It is better than a block of steel in my opinon, price is what you think is good.

Littleblacksmith 

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion Vulcans should not be priced like top of the line anvils; but many people don't know the difference and so price their old Volkswagen bug like a Mercedes...to me that anvil is a bit excessively priced but not excessively excessive.

I've given my rants on why the net is NOT a good way to find anvils many times now and described how I have found anvils in anvil poor regions for free before, (Seems like every church I've gone to has had an anvil lurking in it's membership!). So all I can really say is "Have you tried the TPAAAT extensively?"  Remember it's the people you would NEVER think would have an anvil that may give you the best price on one!  (Like a lady in her 90's!)

@DJT, I really appreciate that! And I drooled over the 396lb mousehole for a minute but not for 2 grand.... but there are very few things in this world that I will shell out that kind of money for haha.

@littleblacksmith, thanks for the review on the store. I may have to go check them out in the near future.

@ThomasPowers, Thank you for the review on the anvil. As for the tpaat method, I figure that I am probably just being impatient so far I mention anvils to most everyone I talk to. I even mentioned it to the owner of a little hippie dippie coffee shop that I stopped in the other day lol. I had one hit but as soon as I mentioned an anvil I litterally sae his eyes flash dollar signs. So I passed on that one. 

So in conclusion I reckon I will excercise a rarely used muscle.of mine call patience hahaha. Thanks guys!

The nice thing about Vulcan anvils is they are quiet. I have been using my 100 ponder for 30 years and I love it. A lot of folks look down their noses at them but unless they have a lot of damage they are fully serviceable. If you can talk them down to under $200 ($150-$200) I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.

• 1 month later...

Value depends on LOCATION since we don't know it's location; it's valueless. 

Value depends on condition of the face; since we can't tell the condition of the face; it's valueless.  (Think of the difference having a working engine and having a blown engine makes to the price of a used car!)

(Peter Wright pre 1907 as it doesn't have the England stamp.  *probably* post 1820's; but as we can't see the face that's a guess.)

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I AM blessed for my anvil. I found it from a friend of a friends and it was her great grandpas anvil. It is a 400 pound wrought with steel face. It has no manufacture name. It has a 70 or better rebound and is 37 inches Long and 5 1/2 inch wide. It is a London pattern anvil. I am super happy to have found and this is the best part. I got it for 300 dollars! That is 75 cents a pound! I tell you if you pray and look around and keep asking, good things happen. I didn't even find it my brother found it and it was sitting in their front yard. What turned us on about the big anvil was on their porch there was a smaller anvil but in the backyard was a big shop anvil. Btw the rounding swage was not with it, I bought that. Also I am making a 400 pound hydraulic press with what you see behind the anvil.

IMG_0465.JPG

Sorry but that design is not "very old"; very old for anvils is over 200 years old and they tend to be squat in shape with small heels and horns.  That design is under 150 years old. And has at least 100+ years of use left in it.

How did you determine the weight?

a 400 pound press would not be a lot of use, I made the smallest and lightest powered hydraulic press I could that is usable and that is over 20,000 pounds ( a little over 10 tons )

30 minutes ago, Gods Metal Works said:

I do know the anvil is very old.

our main shop anvil is 300 years old, we have older and make replicas of 1000 year old anvils to use and then sell, less than 150 years is brand new to us

8 hours ago, the iron dwarf said:

a 400 pound press would not be a lot of use, I made the smallest and lightest powered hydraulic press I could that is usable and that is over 20,000 pounds ( a little over 10 tons )

No no

that will be the weight of the machine I will have a 3000 psi hydraulic cylinder welded to it. The cylinder is for hydraulic machinery, something I have acquired.

8 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Sorry but that design is not "very old"; very old for anvils is over 200 years old and they tend to be squat in shape with small heels and horns.  That design is under 150 years old. And has at least 100+ years of use left in it.

150 years or under is old to me I am 17 years old.

8 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

I have a 500 capacity max scale for heavy people. Me and my brother picked the big thing up and put it on the scale, before mounting to the stump. To be honest I was completely lucky and blessed to get such a big shop anvil for my shop. The only reason I said it was old is because it is worn so bad where it was stamped by the manufacturer.

I was 17 before your father was born probably and TP is older still

so you know how much your press will weigh but probably dont have experience designing, building and using presses, I made my first one about 1980 and was still using it until about 2 years ago when I sold it and built a new one, made about a dozen in between for other people.

the press I use now weighs about 70 lbs and can do a stroke in less than a second, I can also get it to stop anywhere I want with an accuracy of about 100th of an inch, speed is important in forging presses

Well like with people "It's not the years; it's the mileage!"   I've seen a lot of bridge anvils used to reforge cable tool drilling bits back before the rotary drill bit for oil well drilling was developed. They are almost *always*  beat to words not allowed on this site; much worse condition than many anvils I have seen twice their age.  Getting into a craft that has around 3000 years of history to it; you may need to recalibrate your oldometer .

You have also demonstrated that you don't need a cherry picker; but I'd suggest you refrain from lifting anvils that size without one anyway.

I took my forge up to my church's summer camp again this year and spent several days teaching campers how to forge simple items: s-hooks, chili peppers and marshmallow roasters; we also had a pastor forge a cross from 3 large landscaping timber nails.