I Forge Iron

Clausing drill press, model 1447

I don't have a Clausing but would think any good working drill press would be worth around that much money. Maybe check a Grizzly Catalog or something for something similar and see what they are selling for. I paid about that much for my drill press over twenty years ago. Tools are always a good investment. One of the best purchases I've ever made. Maybe try to check it for sloppiness in the bearings. Make sure its not worn out.

Thanks Jawno. I haven't got the chance to check it out in person, but it looks like a lot of machine for the money. Since it looks older(70's, 80's) I had concerns about finding parts, but clausing says they have parts going back 70 years.

A similar grizzly seems to be about 475 to get it shipped. Clausing is made in America, and grizzly is Chinese. 

You are right, I just need to check it out in person. The older presses I have used worked great, and I think thats what I would prefer. I better not wait, just missed out on a large Rockwell drill press for 125, someone else was faster on the draw.

I have a model 16SG thatI have converted to 3 phase using a VFD for speed control.  It is one of the most used machines in my shop.  Clausing made some really good tools.  I don't know anything specific about the 1447 but would consider this one seriously.  I would not purchase any tool without taking a real close look.  

At the very least you should look closely to see if the spindle runs true.  If you do not have a magnetic base and dial indicatior (the prefered method) a primative indication can be to chuck up a new drill bit and drill a test hole while feeling for movement/vibration in the work piece.  

Check out the Yahoo Clausing Site :    https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/clausing_lathe_and_mill/info

Although this site is for lathes and mills many of the members also have clausing drill presses.  Clausing parts are still available but check with the clausing nobs to get a feel if there are limits to availability. Good luck

Thanks Knots.  That's a good idea for testing. I will definitely take a close look, before buying. I'll have to check out that clausing group first, but if the machine is solid I'm probly going to buy it.

As you said it seems like Clausing made some really good tools. They have been around since 1911, must be doing something right.

Clausing is in the same league as Southbend, Lablond, Regal, and such. Jet, Grizzly, etc. aren't in the same league by a long shot. I'd just LOVE that kind of score, even if it needed some work. Quill bearings is the most common wear point of drill presses so if there isn't any latitudinal lash in the quill and turns freely it's a prime find. Just take hold of the chuck and see if you can move it sideways, it shouldn't, then see if you can turn it by hand, it should. If it doesn't turn well, check the belts one may be gummed or broken is such a way as to make it not want to turn easily.

If it wasn't too badly worn it'd be in the back of my pickup and I'd explain it to Deb  later.

Frosty The Lucky.

If there is sideways movement in the chuck, is it beyond reasonable repair? I am good at repairing things but there is a limit.

The thing is that even though parts may be available they are likely to be expensive.   Bearings are probably standard generic so you could probably source them from any good supply house that sells bearings reasonably.  However if the spindle is damaged that would need to be sourced from Clausing/Atlas  and could be expensive.   

Clausing Service Center 

811 Eisenhower Dr., So.

PO Box 877

Goshen, IN 46526

1 800 535 6553

I talked to these folks a couple of years ago.  The number should still be good.  They were very helpful with questions on my clausing lathe.  Give them a call and talk to the experts.

I have a nice Clausing and they are indeed very nice tools. Parts are not expensive, they are beyond belief pricey from them. Many are special to them. A reeves belt drive belt for mine is 489 each. I had the 2 speed 3 ph 440V only motor and a single phase single speed motor from them was over a thousand.

Wow, so parts are not likely going to be cheap.  Thanks for all the help guys! I hate to waste money, or miss out on a deal due to my own ignorance.

I wish the guy would get back to me, so I can look at it up close. 

Now its going to snow, :angry: that really throws off my schedule. I am ready for spring.

I would guess that the chances are really good that the DP is in good condition.  These old American machines are very durable. In addition to my Clausing, I have in my shop an old Craftsman DP that manufactured in the early 1950's and it still runs true.  Although I purchased the machine in the mid 1980's I would be willing to bet that it has run all of the these years without any repair other than occasional new V Belt.  I bought one just like it in 1952 when I was 14 with a serial number only 500 lower than that one that I currently have.  Those machines were manufactured by King Seally and were/wore like cast iron in more ways than the material they were made from.  

My main concern would be that at some point in it's life a longish work piece being drilled had the bit grab the work piece and sling it against the column.  If this were to happen the spindle could be tweaked/bent slightly out of alinement.  If you were to purchase one with that fault , the replacement part (spindle) could cost more than the purchase price of the press.  So look for that fault and other missing parts then if all seems well buy it.  Happy drilling .

Oh, and please don't send your snow our way.   :rolleyes:

I would love to make this snow go away completely(I have to plow and shovel Instead of trying out my new used anvil arriving today :()  but its already accumulating.

I really appreciate your help Knots, I feel more confident about knowing what to look for. Glad to hear that the old American craftsmanship holds up well. There are plenty of Chinese made press's out there, but they don't appeal to me like the old ones.

Thanks again for all the help

Dustin

If you see any wobbling or sideways movement it may or may not reall be a problem. If it is a drill bit wobbling it may just be the chuck or how it was mounted. If it is movemnt of the spindle above the chuck it may be worn bearings or a bent spindle. If the problem is in the chuck or how it was mounted then it is an easy fix. If the play is in the bearings it will also be a realitivly easy fix. If it is a problem is a bent spindle then it will be more costly to fix. It would be hard to tell where the problem lies without a dial indicator.

Thanks Kubiak. So basically if there is wobble I am taking my chances. It could be a costly fix.

I will have to wait and see. The seller has not responded yet. I just sent another message so he knows I am serious, hopefully he is.

Maybe I will get lucky and there will be no significant movement and I will take it home.

Dustin