I Forge Iron

How cool is this?

VT- that one is coming next.  :)

These are not originals (I wish!).  I had these made up after I found my ACME anvil sign this past summer.

ACMEsign.jpg

The shop that made the ACME sign had no idea there actually was a real ACME anvil!  They did that sign just because they were big Road Runner cartoon fans as kids.  I bought the ACME sign because I couldn't resist such a neat item like that. 

I got in touch with the artist and shop that did that ACME sign, and sent them the pic of their sign with a pristine (real) ACME anvil.  They thought that was the coolest thing....  Then I had a bright idea, and I asked if they would have any interest in doing some real anvil signs that are more authentic to the time period the anvil companies were in business.  They LOVED the idea, and were all for it.   We talked about different compositions and layout ideas, this is what we ended up with.  They do a masterful job at "aging" the signs. 

I'm thrilled with how these latest ones turned out.  Fisher and A&H signs are the next ones that will come to life.   :)

I figure they are being made up from old advertising and so Fisher should not be a problem...

(I mean why would you need a "near Sheffield" if your sign was at your location???)

Argh 2 minutes late and $2 short!  They are very nicely done and probably be a big hit at smithing conferences.

(I'm jealous!)

It'd be neat if they could do smaller ones.  Something akin to what you might see in a poor man's shop.  Maybe 18" long and proportionately tall.  Cheaper and easier to mail all across the country.   

I like how the sign's aged.  Makes it look like they came out of great-granddad's barn after a century of collecting dust.

Heck, I'd be in for a smaller version of a FIsher Norris sign if the price wasn't too awful.

Darn you sir! You have this Tartan Tightwad reaching for his wallet, actually contemplating *shudder* spending money on a non-necessary item. 

You could tailgate these at ABANA and Quad States and pay for your trip. Heck, even I would buy one. Or two. Three or four if they were small.....

On another note, some shrink could make a mint with a 12 step program for Blacksmith Accumulytis Anonymous. Our wives would gladly pay for the treatments. By selling our excess anvils. To other budding hoarders. And so the circle is complete.

• 5 months later...

The A&H sign!
I wanted it very basic and utilitarian, without a lot of frills to it.
Sort of like how Postman describes how A&H anvils were made in AIA.

And then of course aging the sign to look like it came from 100 years ago....
Taking some aspects of how they stamped their anvils and some print ads of the time, this is what we came up with:

A&Hsign.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...