I Forge Iron

No Shortage of Suckers

Ok, I have no idea what a sucker rod is. Looks like rebar?

Sucker rod is used on a pump jack. Those rocking horse looking things in oil fields that bring the oil to the surface after the well as been dug. They connect together via a threaded end. They go all the way down the well shaft, at the bottom is a suction cup of sorts. so as the pump jack goes up it pulls oil to the top of the tube. usualy they come in 30 foot sections. Very flexible as they have to travel a long way, depending how deep the well hole is.

per the Aspery line of training we make all sorts of hand tools from sucker rod hardened by quenching the working end in the slack tub and tempered by allowing the remaining heat in the shank to travel back to the tip and quenching that off at the right color, repeat as many times as you have heat remaining.  I always forget which but we generally assume that its 4140 chrome/moly, I gotta write that down somewhere....

Steve, is there any way to visually determine if the rod has come from a sour well (contaminated with sulfur/hydrogen sulfide right?)?  what would be the failure or unwanted side effects stemming from such exposure?  safety hazard or material hazard that could lead to failure of the tool?

Hydrogen Sulfide is toxic; I worked a well where it was my job to test the sensors; one of the dangers is that you only smell it *once* and then your nose is deadened to it for an amount of time so you don't know that the exposure is still going on.

Is it isolated to the outside of the steel. does it burn off? Just wondering if a respirator is necessary when using sucker rod. Is there a visual way to identify contaminated steel? Or just a crapshoot as to what out pick out of the pile?

The problem with hydrogen sulfide and sucker rods (or any tubular material for that matter) is that HS will make steel brittle.

In many oil or gas wells, drill string, tubing, sucker rods and just about anything else tubular exposed to sour gas i.e., hydrogen sulfide, have broken off in the borehole due to HS embrittlement, requiring expensive fishing jobs to recover the broken pieces.  Drill collars, for example that may be 8" in O.D. with a 3" or 4" I.D would break like spaghetti.  Special alloy steels are required in HS environments.

You will not suffer any ill effects working with sucker rod that has been around HS.  Being a gas, it has long since evaporated.  The only problem might be that it may break unexpectedly.