I Forge Iron

Khyber Knife Information

Alaric

LastRonin  - Information on any type would be welcome but I’m mostly interested in the larger one. I am familiar with the shorter one being called pesh-kabz but have never seen a name use other than Khyber used to describe the longer variety.

Gergely – I had discovered that site in my search for information and am in the process of purchasing one of the items:

http://www.oriental-arms.com/item.php?id=5694

The seller claims it is late 19th century, it would be nice if I could find information that would let me confirm if that is correct or not once I have it. My goal other then learning about things I find interesting is to make one at some point and I want to gather enough information to try and do it accurately.

If there are any books that cover these in any detail I would love to know, I like books as much as I like knives.

Thanks for the responses,

Richard

Hi Richard,

I'd try this two:

Anthony C. Tirri: Islamic Weapons: Maghrib to Moghul. Indigo Publishing, 2003

Manouchehr Moshtatgh Khorasani: Arms and Armor from Iran: The Bronze Age to the End of the Qajar Period. Legat-Verlag GmbH KG, 2006

Although I have not read these, so I can't tell you whether these include information about khyber knives or not. Or how much and useful knowledge you can acquire from them. So I suppose better using a library first.

BTW library, check this out:

https://archive.org/search.php?query=arms%20armor%20AND%20mediatype%3Atexts

it is an awesome collection of free digitalized books and stuff.

Bests

Gergely

PS: I've looked that seller of yours' site for a 5-6 years and haven't found it very questionable. This just my opinion, of course.

I just checked that khyber knife you are about to buy. I'd say the dating seems to be all right. (Based on my limited experience as a collector of old ethnic blades. (No guaranties though :) )

And it's always good to check ebay. There are some (mainly British) sellers with trustable knowledge about these kind of blades.

G