I Forge Iron

foot pedal control

Hitlist

I read a bunch about so many ways to hook up a whole lot of linkages to make a foot pedal control your hydraulic or air hammers and presses. What I don't see yet is using solenoids/electric to make an easier (seeming) foot control. Anyone done this or have a link showing  it?

Thanx

My vertical press has a mechanical linkage that I built.   My horizontal press is a commercially made press with electrically operated  valves.  It has limit switches and can be set up to cycle like a power hammer (not nearly as fast).  The limit switches are very useful having the press stop at a predetermined place is a very nice feature to have,  the cycling. is also quite useful although not as important.

The nice thing about the mechanical linkage is you can ease things you are pressing, while the   solenoid valves are either open or closed.  This can be handy for things like straightening bars.

To me the ideal setup would be to either have 2 parallel valve systems so you could have the benefits of both or to have mechanical valve with a solenoid operated bypass to allow the use limit switches.  Or a more complicated solenoid valve that allowed gradual and partial opening.  

I have a modified hydraulic punch press that operates just as Mr. Newman describes his horizontal does. I think in industry, micro switches and solenoids (in bigger machines DRO's) are pretty much the standard , but I am in no way an expert.

To post a query at least tangentally related to this, does anybody know how I would set up a press so that it would operate running constantly up to a limit switch until I hit the foot pedal wherein it would switch direction run down until i got to the next limit switch. That was a terrible description. Basically I want to emulate a single acting/ spring return cylinder with limit switches and an electric foot pedal. Kinda like alan evans press he uses in the bowl video he posted, but done with electric switching. I just cant quite work out how I could wire this up with just one foot switch. The 'always up" feature seems like it would be just the ticket for hot work, so you could minimize die chilling. my press moves fast enough that I'd be able to get alot more work done in each heat if I could bump it to shape instead of a slow chilling squish. if that makes any kind of sense. Sorry for the hijack, I hope that my question might bring about responses edifying to all of us, Take care, Matt