I Forge Iron

serrated leaf edges

ausfire

I have searched this but didn't find any references, so would welcome your suggestions/ideas.
Rose leaves have a fine serrated edge and I would like to achieve that on the very thin leaves of my roses. My method at the moment consists of clamping the hot leaf in the vice and chiseling in the small indentations, one side at a time. Works OK, but perhaps you guys have a way of making the serrations a little sharper, neater and more regular.
Another method I tried was forging the leaves from 10mm threaded rod, pushing the metal so that the threads made the serrations. Some success but not really what I'm looking for.
I thought of trying to make a special tool using the curved jaw from some pliers.
All suggestions gratefully received.

Threaded rod does create a different effect, but I've never been able to make it as neat and as even as a rose leaf's serrations. And I find it hard to get threaded rod that's not galvanised. I'm not putting that gal rod in the forge, it's deadly.

Threaded rod does create a different effect, but I've never been able to make it as neat and as even as a rose leaf's serrations. And I find it hard to get threaded rod that's not galvanised. I'm not putting that gal rod in the forge, it's deadly.

Doesn't go all the way round the leaf's edge either when finished profile is formed

Triangular file, or half round files are useful for edging leaf

Ausfire, I'd stick with the vice and chisel method. I've posted a few roses and grape leaves on this site before, but something happened to the pictures. I do the chiseling before I have taken the leaf too thin, and for the grape leaf, I chisel a lot farther, so I'll chisel straight in with one hit then diagonal with one hit then the other diagonal with one hit, until I get to the depth I choose. The main thing about chiseling is to only hit once and remove, and then replace or move and hit again. Do not use a chisel like a plow!

• 1 month later...

large old bolt held in the vise, leaf edge driven down with a small wooden mallet. Reheat and cool the already serrated edge before trying the other side. post-182-0-58343400-1394718227_thumb.jpg

file or a chisel is probably more consistant. This method seems to work about half the time, the other half the leaf bends before it gets much edge detail

• 3 weeks later...