• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Frosty said:

Your English is just fine, better than some native speakers

Careful Frosty I resemble those native speakers! 

I'd hate to be learning English today esp. at my age.  Settee would be a term used by the Social Elite of the Wine and Cheese crowd in our highly $$$ area.  That being said the work here certainly deserves a name other than a Bench.  It is very nice both metal and wood  working. 

Intriguing, settee is a word acquired from the Raj, along with the other old favourites like curry, bungalow, char and verandah.

It is considered non-you to use it...those people that worry about using loo or water closet instead of toilet would only ever say sofa.

With the asymmetric backs of the OP's benches "chaise longue" springs to mind...

Alan

Well if it bothers yous guys to resemble the native language I mangle. I ain't bothered, not my problem.  :rolleyes:

Alan: I think to be a "chaise" it has to have an arm that doubles as a back rest. Then again I don't even try to keep track of English. Always being on the learning curve is part of speaking a living language, you just never know what those kids are going to do next.  It'll probably be interesting but not near as groovy as when my generation was adding and altering words. Farrrrrrr out.

Frosty The Out of sight. B)

On 21.02.2016 at 1:10 AM, Forging Carver said:

Yeah your English is fine. You are probobly better than me. I am not the best with words. 

Hi !

All  thank you very much.

Alas, this isn't my translation. In the USSR studied English poorly.

Modern youth says a lot better.

Alex.

• 1 year later...

Alexander, you do some beautiful forgings. I especially like the Art Nouveau style pieces. All of your pieces have a very clean look to them.

Some specific keywords can get the customers to your listings, then the pictures can do the talking. A picture is worth 1,000 words.

I believe any light attached directly to a wall or post is a "sconce". In American English we usually put the descriptive words or phrase in front of the subject. Eg. electric torch wall sconce. Adding "style" to the description would be for subtle differences, say, "Viking" style torch sconce as opposed to a Norman Castle style torch sconce. Both are torch sconces, the difference is what style torch they represent. Make sense? I just made the two terms up to illustrate my point about using the word "style" in product names.

Again, in American English the adjective (descriptive word or phrase) usually goes in front so I'd call it a "Forged, flower vase, table lamp." That's just my first thought, I'd spend a lot of time editing the name down to as few words as possible and still describe the product.

Truth is Alex, your work is so beautiful you probably only need a picture. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I was thinking that the "torch-style" dealt with the tautological problem of both lamp and torch being included in the phrase. They are both words describing a light source. The piece is using the style of one as a support for the other which is actually providing the light.

Including sconce is slightly confusing in as much it is often used to mean the candle holder, as in candle sconce meaning the holder part of a candle stick and not necessarily one on a wall. Most flaming torches were stuck in a wall bracket rather than being free standing I think. So torch and sconce are slightly overlapping too!

Poor Alex, and you wanted english speakers to clarify!...Frosty, Stash and I at least all agree that "lamp" should be the last word for the torch style wall lamp description.

Maybe I will stick with the one I just wrote then rather than thought about..."Torch style wall lamp"

Alan

I can't believe I'm agreeing with a Brit about the language! Don't folk on your side of the pond call at least some types of lights torches? Hand torch for what we call a flash light?   I wouldn't use lamp and torch in the same description. Even as a first draft, that's exactly the kind of duplication that should be edited out. However one or the other, lamp OR torch might be the better choice depending on region. In the USA lamp would probably be the better but in the UK torch might be. No?

I'd use "type" to distinguish categories of items and style for more subtle differences EG. my contrived example of Viking Vs. Norman Castle. Say my Viking wall sconce would be textured to look like a branch and use those flickery candle bulbs. Where my Norman Castle sconce would look more like a basket brazier on a forged iron shaft. Both represent torch flame lights mounted on the wall but they're different in cosmetically or i style rather than type. 

Were I doing American style wall sconces of the torch or fire brand type. I'd market one that looked like a staff with rope wound around the end as the "Search party" style. And a shorter staff mounted to the wall with a simple pair of rings for the "Mine wall" style sconce. 

I'd make the "wound rope" from translucent plastic and use LEDs for the light source. you could even install  internal reflectors and have flickery yellow ones aimed out the back to make pretty flame light patterns on the wall.

Torch Type wall sconces, the "Search Party" and "Mine Shaft" . . . Models! Forget style in the descriptions "model" sounds more professional and opens the image in the customer's mind of more models.

For further illustration how about a different type sconce? m m m m The "Gas Light" type modeled after various old city gas lights. There could be the "Street Light" models, Ooh the "London Alley" is a very popular model, Some designers favor the "Pawn Shop" model. 

Okay, that's where my mind goes with Sconce as a broad category of lamp with many Models. If you're going to have a product line you need some basics and specifics. Alex has shown us some breath takingly beautiful lamps a: Chandelier, several sconces and a gloriously colorful table lamp. Al very pro and all very desirable. He just needs to organize and market them.

This is a great topic it really has me thinking about what I think and what others think. Cross pollinating is a good thing.

Frosty The Lucky.

We took the dogs for a 5 mile walk along the River Thames National Trail recently, pausing at William Morris' Kelmscot Manor where we took a cream tea on the lawn...very gentile and civilised.

We made light work of the scones.

Alan

Excellent blacksmithing aside, I think that house is magnificent. The beefy timbers and the riverstone work are just beautiful. And the blacksmith pieces complement the natural look perfectly.