I Forge Iron

Andirons for the Michie House. Louisa Va

keithh999

The Central Virginia Blacksmith Guild was asked to make all new iron hardware for a renovated 1790's house for the Louisa historical society.  This set of andirons was started at my shop during my yearly hammerin/guild meeting.  Clay Smith and I started the front pieces as other guild members cut up the crosspieces and hammered tenons on the ends.  We werent able to finish them that day so i took a couple days to revamp the front pieces that were rather spindly from some overly aggresive power hammer work.  I cut the balls off and forge weled them onto new front pieces that i hammered an edge taper in and then punched and drifted all the holes made the legs and assembled the whole thing and tweeked til they sat square, plumb and level.  The last picture in the set is me presenting them to the President of the louisa county historical society and she was over-the-moon with delight! 
post-969-0-05961000-1391556093_thumb.jpgpost-969-0-07346400-1391556110_thumb.jpgpost-969-0-63702100-1391556164_thumb.jpgpost-969-0-00539900-1391556183_thumb.jpgpost-969-0-74220700-1391556202_thumb.jpgpost-969-0-81036300-1391556222_thumb.jpg

Very nice; the detail at the finials is elegant in its simplicity.  I like projects like this because they are rather easy for the hobbyist with a minimum of tools.  Just the right amount of stock reduction, piercing, riveting, etc, without getting into big stock that overwhelms the guy that doesn't have a power hammer.

Is this a reproduction of an historical piece?

The historical society had given us a line drawing of something period correct with absolutely no dimensions to work to and this is what we came up with...we didnt even have a dimension for their hearth to work with but in the end the andirons fit the space perfectly!!

The historical society had given us a line drawing of something period correct with absolutely no dimensions to work to and this is what we came up with...we didnt even have a dimension for their hearth to work with but in the end the andirons fit the space perfectly!!

Kismet! Ain't it wonderful?

If you go raising the bar much more I won't even be able to see it.

Frosty The Lucky.