I Forge Iron

This is only a test, to stretch my abilities

keithh999

Last months Central Virginia Blacksmith Guilds meeting was a trip to the National Cathedral in Washington and after seeing Samuel Yellins AWESOME/AMAZING (add extra adjectives as needed) work i decided I needed to try and see if I could do something along his lines just to stretch my abilities a bit and so after about 10-12 hrs on the forge this is what i came up with.  Dont think i did too bad!!  Its 9 1/2 inches square so you have an idea of scale.

Keith
MMM Fab & Forge

post-969-0-99734800-1391554937_thumb.jpgpost-969-0-14269800-1391554955_thumb.jpg

Excellent stuff.  I really like how you pierced the frame with the scrolled ends.  Tricked me for a minute until I saw the back face - I thought you had a two-part frame sandwiching the scrolled bits.

Definitely a worthy exhibition piece to showcase what you're capable of.

It definately took some forward thinking to figure out in what order to do what operation....how long each piece...what angle and length for the scroll pieces to fit in the square punched holes  etc etc.  All in all a very fun project and i got more and more excited to see the finished project as i got farther and farther along.  Gotta figure out the next stretching exercise after i make the fancies for my new tool boxes that are under construction.

Awesome work!

Question...to bend the pieces that go through holes in the corner as well as the ones on the center ring, did you heat with a torch and bend or hold the corners and ring in the forge fire to heat and bend?

Can't believe it only took 10-12 hours.  Fantastic that all the pieces measured out to be the right length, etc.  Great talent you have.

Greetings Keith,

Exceptional work...   I know just how you feel..   I went to a Yellin exhibit at Cranbrook in Michigan and went right back to the shop and started in forging.. Sure makes you want to test your skills as much as you can ..   The everyday stuff pays the bills but as you know we all strive to improve... I always thought it was funny when I would teach a student  a new procedure or element it for sure would end up in their next customers work....   I guess we are all guilty of that..  Keep up the great work..

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim