I Forge Iron

Welding tricks, if you got the time.

I went to a very good tech college to learn welding. The old instructor told us to watch the guy that seems to be wasting time a lot. he knows his ambient heat is approaching the top, and he's just waiting for the piece to cool a bit, before he applies the next pass. Ya got to do something whilst waiting...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2014 at 7:38 PM, Judson Yaggy said:

Well, it's easy with 6011, I'd like to see him try it with 7018!  (grin)

Hi Judson Yaggy,

I'm using 7018. 3/32!! I can do it with 1/8 & 5/32. I can also do it with 1/4 Jet Weld welding rods. I have been doing that since I was a boilermaker welder in 1970 just out of the Navy. Great job!!!

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2014 at 9:56 PM, Hillbillysmith said:

I literally think my IQ dropped a few points watching that video.... Excellent talent J.C, best be sure to put that on your resume.

-Hillbilly

Thanks Hillbillysmith,

You are a good man..

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2014 at 9:46 PM, mike-hr said:

I went to a very good tech college to learn welding. The old instructor told us to watch the guy that seems to be wasting time a lot. he knows his ambient heat is approaching the top, and he's just waiting for the piece to cool a bit, before he applies the next pass. Ya got to do something whilst waiting...

Yep he's right!!! I watched the old timers when I was a young man.

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2014 at 8:11 PM, Steve McCarthy said:

The wheelchair and hospital bed are probably clues to how he came about perfecting this skill. I went through some occupational therapy several years ago and was really surprised with what they have you use to regain motion and dexterity.   

Was doing it back in the 70s when I was a boilermaker welder for CP&L & Duke Power. It's Duke Energy now. Best job I've had.

Is this a "seasoned welder" trick or something because I've never heard of it.  Kind of like stuffing Weld Kleen in a gas cup?  Theres lot of jokes you can play on the "new guy" but I've always found it more amusing and fun to help them and watch them learn.  Ticks off some of the old hands sometimes, but tough.  More power to u J.C. R III.  Scott.

• 2 months later...