I Forge Iron

50 lb Little Giant brake pad?

The brake on my 50# LG is starting to come apart.  The piece that came off looks like it has wire in it, like a steel belted radial tire.  I need about 30" X 1 1/2 inches of new material to replace it, but don't know what to use or where to find it.   I didn't find any previous posts about this.  Any suggestions.  It looks like it was riveted on.   

Dave,

I've always used thick (1/4" +) leather rivited on with copper flat head rivits for a wear surface.  Cheap, easy to replace, and not prone to damage any original parts or surfaces.  This is on aftermarket brakes I've added onto mechanicals, the hammers with factory brakes were probably asbestos soldered on with lead (wink grin) but they sure work good!

Is your failing part the brake or the clutch?  IIRC Little Giants didn't have factory brakes, but my experiance is mainly with other makes of old mechanicals.  

Judson:  Definitely part of the brake.  The brake was added on by the previous blacksmith.  It worked well for me for many years but now needs attention.  I was thinking leather as you describe it with the copper rivets.  But, that is not what I found when it came apart.  Some kind of pad with wire running through it.    

I have a Beaudry hammer, with factory integral brake, and have tried a lot of materials over the years (various woods, commercial brake pad liner, etc.) but the best thing I've found is plain old saddle leather. One advantage to leather is that it will soak up oil/grease and still work quite well; most other materials will eventually get slick and lose the ability to grab a moving crankshaft. I never saw a need for extra sewing or webbing but it probably won't hurt anything.

Good Morning,

I have a friend who makes/repairs saddles and harness. When I am building a Brake, he makes the strap with leather. It works dandy.

Before Grant Sarver passed, I was talking to him about the 40" friction plate on his big Fly-Press. He used leather for the friction contact surface. He found it gave him a consistent feeling for a few years before he had to renew it.

Neil

Thanks guys for all the info and idea's.  I have a saddle maker/repair guy who works with all kinds of leather and he repaired it.  Replaced the tire tread looking material with leather and copper rivets.  This should work fine, but if it doesn't last long, I will contact "Peacock".  Again, thanks for the postings.