I Forge Iron

1045/1050???

JPH

Howdy:

well I am skunked....I have called everyone and their Uncle Ted and no one seems to have 1045/50/55 in flat bar. @#&^@@%*)...

OK I am going to have to go with 1060 I guess...Don't wanna do it but I have no choice.. Well looking it over I guess that is a good thing cause if I am having this much of a hard time finding it the ones who get book 4 will really be in for it so it is for the best in the long run. This way I can more or less write the "how to" with 1060 in mind...

Sigh.... Even tried to find some W1 and W2...no luck there either...

JPH

I checked the fastenall near me and the only 1045 they have left in stock is round bar, and the only they can get in their catelog is square bar (up to 1.25x1.25)

If that's the place i think it is JPH someone else I spoke with purchased their 1084 and it analyzed as only just over 77 points carbon, and should really have been labled 1075. 'real' 1084 is great because the steel is almost exactly at the eutectoid point, meaning that you dont need any soak time, dont really have to worry about grain boundries, and that the point it becomes non-magnetic is the point you want to quench it, making it very easy to heat treat.

JM:

I have been dealing with Security steel for well..30 years now and I never had a problem with them..Methinks someone in their shipping department may of sent your associate 1070/1075 instead of the 1084...??? I woulda raised a small stink about it at least..I have had stuff misent from other folks and they made it right and knowing what I know about Security I am sure they would make it right as well...

ANYWAY>...I am going to bite the bullet and order some 1060/1070 and go with that...sigh....

JPH

I'll have to try them out then for 1084, i know everyone says they're great for getting 5160, but i've avoided them for 1084 mostly because of the one experience that had been recounted to me. They are however one of the only places i know that claims to carry 1084 bar. 1" x .25" is one of my favorite sizes, they carry 1.25x.25 which is pretty close.

Another thought, have you tried Admiral Steel?

They claim to be able to get hot rolled 1050 in thicknesses between .075" - .500" in sheets, anealed or as rolled, and can shear it to desired dimensions. I have never talked with them to see what they charge for the shearing / etc.

C .47/.55 Mn .60/.90 P .020 max S .025 Max Si .15/.30 is what htey list as the 'typical' chemical analysis of their 1050 which would seem to be closer to what you're looking for than 1060

their catelog at http://www.admiralsteel.com/pdf/catalog.pdf page 16 lists the specs for their 1050, the hot rolled on page 17 which comes in the thicknesses you'd need incorrectly lists the specs for their 1035 on page 18 instead of the 1050 specs, but iv'e been told that's a typo and the above listed specs are the same for both of their hotrolled and cold rolled 1050 steels

JM: Yeah, Admiral was one of the first ones I called and they wanted , with all the chartges for shearing, re-flattening, packaging, cutting and all it came to a little over $10.00 US a pound!...for 1045/1050?? No way.....

I am just going to bite it and use 1060, which the more I think about it, the better it is considering this is for book 4 and I don't want anyone else fretting over trying to find 1045.

Using 1060 vs 1045 it's just a few little differences, like the brine temp and the quench temp. But the hamon you get with 1045/1050 are just gorgeous when you get it all right...Still 1060 gives some nice hamon as well so...ya gotta use what ya can find right??

I stopped using 1084 and went to 1070/1090 Electrite...that's a 10xx series with just enough Si 35 points to bring up the toughness...good stuff Maynard...

So tomorrow I will be getting the plos share steel and starting on the hamon stuff once it gets here....

JPH