I Forge Iron

Professo

Greetings!

What would the requirements be for a coal forge? And if i wish to build one, what would be handy to install on the Forge?

I plan to make a forge for my school project. And what types of material is used for a forge?

So far i still need to find a good design. And what kind of size would be good for a starter?

Thanks in advance 

There is lots of information on this website.  Take a few hours or days and read up on the information about solid fuel forges.  Use the SEARCH function on this site for specific information.  You will find participants for forthcoming if you have specific questions AFTER you have done your homework.

Solid fuel forges differ in design depending on the construction materials available, and the type of heat you need for your project. Start looking in the Forge section of the site under solid fuel forges for more information. If you have specific questions, please return and ask providing us with some idea of what materials you have, and what you want to get hot.

I built one 2 feet by 3 feet with a Champion Whirlwind Firepot. Your first forge will not be your final forge, as I went through several variations before my current design, which I am not fully satisfied with, and will be adapting soon. Think: Table with fire on it, to heat bars. That's the most convenient. Holes in the ground work, as do brake drums, commercial firepots etc.

I made a post about mine, if you want specs for it. 

You can only hit what you can see, and so you tailor the forge to get the metal heated up the way YOU want.

post-24020-0-00015700-1390771446_thumb.jpost-24020-0-38745400-1390771472_thumb.j

Yes though that limits what you can forge in it.  One of the advantages of a typical coal forge over a propane forge is that you can stick a big piece on top of it and pile the coal high and so be able to work a central area of a broad item---think tweaking or repairing a gate.

Now if all you are going to be doing is small stuff then an inclosed forge has soem advantages itself.

Another advantage I've wondered about if you're able to heat just a specific area of a project like you can do with a solid fuel forge.  Seems like you couldn't unless part of it sticks out of the gas forge, whereas coal you put whatever area you need to work over the hotter areas of the fire.  Though you could always use the slack tub to cool parts that you needed to.