I Forge Iron

Looking for Bladesmiths in the Newport, Maine area.

DarthTaco

Hey guys, I posted this on Bladeforums, and was told to post here as well I'm a 17 year old Senior in high school, and aspiring bladesmith. I've always been interested in blades, and their forging process, but I never really had the means to build a forge, acquire tools, etc. but this past summer my dad and I built our first forge, and started beating on railroad spikes, just to see what we could do. In order to graduate highschool we have to do a big career project due in April, but I've hit my saturation point of what I can probably do on my own in that period of time without any form of physical aid. Although I've recently enlisted into the United States Army, I chose blacksmithing/bladesmithing as the career choice for this project, mainly because it held more interrest to me, and it was something I could bring a physical product in for, but one of the requirements is hands on experience with a mentor in the field of study.

If there are any bladesmiths in the Newport area (in Maine), within maybe 45 minute driving distance that wouldn't mind teaching me a few things, I'd be more than elated to get in contact, and possibly meet up to work a little bit. 

Thanks for any responses.

-Jeff Hill.

I cannot help you with your search(I am in NJ), but I would just like to let you know that Newport is the original home of Fisher anvils.  Mark Fisher first made Fisher anvils in his factory which was just south of where the dam used to be.  I visited there a few years ago, and was amazed that the stone work is still in place from when water power was used.  Winter is a good time to see it (no poison ivy).

It's OK, I figure between here, bladeforums, and asking around locally, I'll find someone, I'm making due with my brake drum forge but my shop-vac blower just died. Probably going to pick up a cheapo hair dryer to get me through until I can afford something better.

Join the "New England Blacksmiths", lots of Maine smiths are members and the next meet will be in southeast New Hampshire.  

There are two well established smithing schools in Maine, New England School of Metalwork in Auburn and Haystack in Deer Isle.  

http://www.newenglandblacksmiths.org
http://www.newenglandschoolofmetalwork.com
http://www.haystack-mtn.org

I'll definitely check out the classes and such, but I'm still looking for something a tad more immediate and local. It only really has to be five hours of total "internship or work place experience", and I know with any kind of metal working that can go by very fast. I'm trying to keep the costs of this project low, as being a student, my income isn't very high (heck, I'm even selling off my baseball cards for some cash), but those look great for a long term deal.

Edited for language

DT,

Check out the New England School of Metalwork, Auburn Maine.  Dereck Glazer is the Master Smith and the director of the Blacksmith and Bladesmith programs. They have a web site with all sorts of info. The school features all the American Blade Association courses. They have an excellent instructor who is dedicated to the Blade working programs. They also bring in guest instructors for all manner of metalwork throughout the year. The NESM is very squared away in everything they do and probably your best centralized resource for information in Maine.  You should drop in and see them if you are driving in that neighborhood. They are a couple miles north of the Auburn Exit on the Maine Turnpike, in front of Maine Oxy and welding supply.  Good luck.

Peter  

I am a knife maker/blacksmith, not in your area at all. I read most of everything new on this forum,,almost daily..There are I bet many folks that only read the sections that are aligned with wot they are involved in...This  may have well been posted in the knifemaking section of this site to get more response.

That area by the way has a tutorial on how to make knives from start to more advanced.

Yeah, I was just thinking of the bladesmithing forums as well, I'd like to do some regular blacksmithing as well, I'm just trying to find projects that I can do with the abundance of railroad spikes I have laying around.

Peter, I'll do just that if I'm ever in the Auburn area, but unfortunately it's about 1.5 hour away from me.

Just so you keep in mind that bladesmithing is not an instant gratification kind of learning experience.  For intance many bladesmiths spend literally hours after forging the blade just to properly prepare the outer surface to be a respectable knife. There are many places on this site that show things folks have made with rr spikes that may suit youir needs and time frome quite well..with the places others have suggest for you to visit..there is hope...Have fun.

I really do enjoy bladesmithing, and I have found it tedious at times, and I am by no means even half way to bad, I mean I've only forged two knives, the first was wicked ugly, the second was a bit better, and I recently had my first hunk of steel burn up :(. Heating up a bell peen hammer head to turn into a tomahawk, just about done drifting the eye, and as I pull it out of the fire the right wall was going just like a sparkler.

Thanks pike3e for stepping up.

I would offer time in my shop but it is in Portland, ME and my sense is he doesn't want to travel that far.

New England Blacksmiths tries to be a resource and facilitator to those with interest in NE

Darth taco, when you get to a point where you seek the company of peers check us out. The benefits far outweigh

the cost of membership