I Forge Iron

Taking others' ideas...is it OK?

As I said, a patent, copyright, etc. is just a tool and does nothing of it's own accord. Like any tool, be it a stick or a fighter jet, without a person operating them they are inert objects, maybe making shade if the sun shines.

I'll use a pistol as a parallel. Just owning a pistol is like having a patent, unless YOU pull the trigger it's zero "real" protection. Either can act as a deterrent though and so offer some protection. 

This thread demonstrates the passive protection aspect perfectly. A fellow is so concerned with infringing on another's patent he is seriously considering NOT making a given product. Even though the product isn't a copy of another patented object.

As pointed out by George litigation over patent infringement requires pockets so deep, they in themselves are a deterrent to infringement. Companies like Apple and other large corporations will crush others win or lose to protect themselves. 

On our level it'd take a deliberate attempt to duplicate and take credit for other's work to be at any risk.

Frosty The Lucky.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/18/2020 at 8:23 PM, anvil said:

Copying means a word for word copy that you try to market as the original.

First off anvil, I want to say that I did not mean to raise animosity with my response. Though I can see how my tone can be read as condescending, especially considering that I started out in disagreement and started talking about my education. I meant no offense and although the topic did spark the memory of the cento, I did not set out to flaunt any knowledge; why would I ever think I could get away with something like that on this forum?

As for your statement I have pasted above, you're right -- I misunderstood your meaning of 'copying.' I used the word to mean using the style/technique/design of another smith in order to inform/inspire my own work. I therefore found your axiom to be a bit generalizing and set out to give an example of how someone who we can assume is "good enough" (Greta) will also copy someone else's work in order to inform theirs. My apologies for misreading you and for what seems like a lecture. 

Thanks for that, but it's not necessary. Sometimes I tend to be a little,, caustic,, but never was there any animosity meant from me. Dang, I'm telling my secrets.  ;)

I actually enjoyed your post. It was well written and thought provoking. Anytime something makes you think, makes for a good day.