I Forge Iron

WIP Knifemaking Apprentice. First Knife Log 2014.

I have been a woodworker since youth, so I have some understanding and know my way around my tools and my hands, but I have always been fascinated with forge.

The masterful blacksmith Theo Rock Nazz (theorocknazz.com) has offered me apprenticeship, and I have begun work on my first knife in a series of 3 that should set the stage for my development. It is my goal to end 2014 having completed this series and enter 2015 with renewed prospects for projects.

I immediately fell into a deep work trance upon instruction, losing myself to unearthing the object within the mild steel I've been grinding. I've still got a lot more work to do - my measurements and such - but since I'm using an individual file and not an angle-grinder, I'll develop a better feel for what I'm doing.

Thoughts? Any comments are appreciated.

-Scott

post-50547-0-31845500-1389027476_thumb.j

post-50547-0-45859900-1389027510_thumb.j

Heya Scott. Careful with that word "master": there's actually a rank called mastersmith (the highest achievable mark), which I am not even close to, so be wary not to confuse people :)

You did start with mild steel, but that knife you took home to work on is actually high carbon steel, the real deal. After you file it to shape we'll properly heat treat it and all that jazz.

Here's the link again to the lessons/classes I mentioned before http://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/143-knife-making-classes/ go ahead and start reading through the 101 section. When we continue our work later this week you'll know much more about the process you've begun. Also wouldn't hurt to look at other work posted in the knifemaking section, loads of inspiration there.

Just so the other guys know: he started the profile with the angle grinder, but he is beveling entirely by hand. The steel is an old file I had already ground the teeth off of.

Welcome aboard Scott, glad to have you. Most flowery prose you use. Sure the RockNazz is master . . FULL but most of us are full of something or other. <snicker>

Lots of bladesmithing to read here and by some of the best in the field.pull up a comfy chair, bring a lunch and something to drink, there are many hours of productive reading avaiable.

Frosty The Lucky.

Welcome to the enchanting world of Blade-smithing. I'm fairly new to the trade as well (started last april) and I absolutely love it. Making ancient weapons from raw metal is so exilarating and primal. A skill that has been passed down for thousands of years. This site is a storehouse of knowledge for just about anything you need. Please post pics of your progress!

Welcome to the enchanting world of Blade-smithing. I'm fairly new to the trade as well (started last april) and I absolutely love it. Making ancient weapons from raw metal is so exilarating and primal. A skill that has been passed down for thousands of years. This site is a storehouse of knowledge for just about anything you need. Please post pics of your progress!

Welcome aboard Scott, glad to have you. Most flowery prose you use. Sure the RockNazz is master . . FULL but most of us are full of something or other. <snicker>

Lots of bladesmithing to read here and by some of the best in the field.pull up a comfy chair, bring a lunch and something to drink, there are many hours of productive reading avaiable.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks guys. Much appreciated.